Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Jobhunters/New Job/References -- Help !

I kind of need Dogsey members help.

Long story short, I was in Australia til 2001 then I came over here, lived life as a kept woman for a year, but started studying for a book keeping course as a re-fresher (I did it for a few years before I came to the UK) and did enough book keeping/payroll courses til 2004 (doing it part time as I was at home with the dogs etc) But I was doing hubbies book keeping and this says so on my CV. I have no 'formal' employment from 2001 - 2004 when I started my current job and I walked into that, as my boss was on the course I was doing, so I asked him about it and I started on the monday as a temp, had an interview and got the job, but basically got the job as I was temping and doing an ok job anyway, when I filled in the application form for my current job it just said : References, so I had two good friends that had known me since I arrived in the UK down as references, they were both contacted and wrote me a great letter as a character refence and Bob's your uncle I had the job. This company is small (but large enough to be respected) and I've been there since Mid 2004.

Last week I had an interview (through an agency) the new employer/line manager loved me (woohoo!) and gave me a start date and great starting salary. But I've come up with a snag, I was sent the job offer on Saturday but it wants my career history for the last 10 years and if they can be contacted for a reference. I cant provide that, I can only give my current employer as a reference (obviously only after I have resigned, but I dont do that til I know I'm ok on the reference front) as before that (Jan 2001) I was working in Aus and I know the most common way of future employers is to send out a form or to call them. My employers gave me a written reference, but it was 6 years ago and I no longer keep in contact with them.

What do I do ? My current job offer is subject to the reciept of satisfactory references and security checks (which are fine I have a clear record here and in Aus) I can only really provide one reference for the last 6 years ! Obviously they wont accept one from my husband. Should I just phone the company tomorrow and explain that I can give a written reference for the last job I had before I left Australia but they cant be contacted (which sounds ultra dodgy) or give it as proof and they wont be bothered that much as it was over 6 years ago ? But go with two character references again and my current one ? Worst case scenario is I resign this week, but my job offer is withdrawn because I cant provide satisfactory references, so I end up with no job ! ARGH !

What would you do ? Has anyone ever been in the position of out of work for a long time but returning to work after such a long break but unable to provide references ?

I'm getting really stressed about this, the new company looks great and is a MASSIVE company so I know this cant be 'overlooked' like it would be in a small one.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Wilow,
First, don't panic or get stressed, in my experience even in big companies, if the boss wants you then things can usually be worked out.
1) Do a Google search of your old company in Ozz to find out their e-mail address.
2) Send an e-mail to the Personell Manager and say that your prospective employer will be contacting him with a form and would he mind filling it in. Ask for a quick acknowledgement to you from him.
3) Give your new employer the Aus company as a reference. Let them decide whether or not they will write.
4) Tell your new company you'd like to start asap.
Provided you didn't leave the Aus co. under a cloud they will likely just confirm the dates you worked there and state that it was your decision to leave.
You might get a letter from new co. saying your hired 'subject to satisfactory references being received' they don't have to come before starting
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I would just explain to the company the things you have written in your post.

If you tell them that you were working in Australia and give them the name and address of the company it is then up to them if they want to try and contact them. Doing the bookwork for your OH is not a problem, it's the truth and I am sure that again is something they will understand.

This must happen quite often in large companies and I am sure they will have come across the problem before. If it is the job you really want then go for it. Would the company you did temping for be able to give you a reference in the absence of anything else being available?

I really wouldn't worry too much as they have seen your CV which set out your employment history and they obviously were interested in you from the information you gave them. I doubt very much that they would write to Australia for references anyway.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 12:46 AM
As an ex employer I wouldn t be too worried by the gaps in your employment, but I would like to think id appreciate the truth, Id write to the explaining the situation as you have done to us. If they've offered you the job I suspect there more interested in any problems you had when employed as they obviously rate you skills now.
Can I be first to say.
Good luck in your new job
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks, sorry about the post, I was in a flap and getting pretty worked up (which is quite unusual for me ) and just had a mad moment. It was all sorted out this morning
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-03-2007, 05:56 PM
That's great Congratulations