Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jan1961
New Member!
Female 

06-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Oh the joys of getting older!!!! NOT

Hi all,
Just back from a walk with my 3 and my oldest Newfie is really struggling keeping up with younger 2. What do owners of older dogs do in this situation? I don't want to leave him behind but he is totally wrecked and I only walked for approx 40 minutes.
We are lucky that where we live there is loads of open space and fields for the dogs to wander around off lead. I like the dogs to walk together on leads to keep their nails short and keep them social.
Bailey is nearly 7 and would be a heavy, big boned Newfie and I have always walked him and he loves getting out.
Any advice would be totally appreciated. Cheers
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jan1961 View Post
Hi all,
Just back from a walk with my 3 and my oldest Newfie is really struggling keeping up with younger 2. What do owners of older dogs do in this situation? I don't want to leave him behind but he is totally wrecked and I only walked for approx 40 minutes.
We are lucky that where we live there is loads of open space and fields for the dogs to wander around off lead. I like the dogs to walk together on leads to keep their nails short and keep them social.
Bailey is nearly 7 and would be a heavy, big boned Newfie and I have always walked him and he loves getting out.
Any advice would be totally appreciated. Cheers
When you say Bailey is big-boned, are you implying that he is overweight? (As a human who has a tendency to carrying extra weight, I am more than familiar with this euphanism!). At 7 years old, he is hardly old, and should not be struggling to keep up with his younger friends, and I am wondering here if he might be slightly on the portly side?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I'd be inclined to walk the younger two dogs for a good walk, and then they can have a shorter, slower walk when you take the newfie out, that's how I used to do it with my big old gsd, but he was a lot older than 7.

I remember a vet telling me once that my 7 year old dog would be classed as an oldie Big boned dogs suffer more in middle age because they've always had more weight to carry around. Make sure you keep him trim, it'll help his case enormously. I'd be inclined to get a quick health test done at the vets too just to make sure he's in tip top form and take their advice on board if it means putting him on a diet. All the best.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm guessing a Newfie at 7 is becoming elderly, I would get him vet checked just to make sure there is nothing else going on with him and if he gets the all clear just let him potter about on walks rather than struggling to keep up.You can wear the others out by getting them to chase a ball or whatever while he just plods along doing his own thing, that's what I do with pups that obviously can't charge about like the rest of them.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2012, 08:52 PM
.You can wear the others out by getting them to chase a ball or whatever while he just plods along doing his own thing
Thats what I do when my oldie is struggling but doesnt want to stay at home.
Jan1961
New Member!
Female 

06-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Hi Gnasher,
If you look on various Newfie websites you will see 2 distinctive types of Newfies. My Bailey is the big boned, heavy Newfie with a large head and shoulders. He looks like a brown bear lol. A lot of breeders are breeding them finer with smaller finer features and small fine heads. At 7 a Newfie is old as they are giant breeds..unfortunately. Again look at breeder websites and look at 'over the rainbow' and you will see they normally live between 6 and 9.
I try to ensure that his weight is good so I'm not putting a strain on his heart.
Jan1961
New Member!
Female 

06-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Again thanks for all your comments...I got Bailey checked prior to getting my Saint Bernard pup by my vet to ensure he could cope with a lively pup and he checked out grand. Strong heart, clear lungs etc.
Lucie my female Newfie is 2 now and Toby my saint is 10 months. I am going to try to get someone to come walkies with me and as you say let Bailey amble along at his own pace off lead and I'll charge on with the other 2.
Jan1961
New Member!
Female 

06-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I also forgot to mention that where we live is in the countryside and there aren't any pavements so to walk the dogs on leads I drive them to the local park. They all get in together but I'll try to get help so Bailey can go easy until I wear the younger two out!!! Thanks again for all your comments
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 07:08 AM
I`m at this stage with Shamus. I am knocking on a bit myself so I tend to now stop for a rest on longer walks. I sit down and throw the ball for the younger dogs while Shamus (and I) have a rest.
Short walks are simply very slow.
Some days I give him a rest - it doesn`t hurt oldies to have a day off occasionally.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 07:13 AM
What about modifying your walk so there is less walking and more mental exercise? For example, find a field, do a lap or so as a warmup but then plonk yourself in one corner and do sit stays, down stays, recall practice, retrieving, 'find it' etc. with the younger dogs and let Bailey do some less intensive training.
I agree with maybe doing two lots of walks too, a quieter walk with Bailey in attendance and then a second walk to give the younger dogs that little top up on their exercise. Bailey may appreciate the quiet time staying home alone!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >