Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sasdax
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Showing a veteran

hought I would post this for a some thoughts. We have been showing for some 15 years and have our first dog who is eligible for the Veteran classes. He is a 10 year old mini wire dachshund who did exceedingly well in his younger years getting 2 CC's and 4 reserves before he took a back problem that resulted in surgery and a few years to get him back on his feet.
Now he is looking excellent for his age but one problem..........he has lost 4/5 of his front teeth, some top, some bottom just through old age.
I had him at the Mini Daxie Champ show at the weekend where he won the Veteran class for his breed but he stood alone as the only one in the class, this made him eligible for Best Veteran in Show which of course he did not win.
Question is would you show a toothless wonder or not and for the judges out there, would you consider this as such as serious fault that I should retire him from the ring.
He has always loved showing, a rarity for us and its a shame to withdraw him if he and we can still get some fun out showing if this is not going to cause a major concern for the judges
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi,
I think you have answered the question with the last part of your post,
If you are both still enjoying it then i would say carry on
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

13-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Well he is 10 years old and small breeds loose teeth more so than larger breeds , so in your particular case I would go ahead, probbly some of the 7 year olds just into veteran have lost teeth too and since you say your boy is looking really good for 10 I would give it a go. As you say you really enjoy it so go ahead . I wish you the best of luck with him and do keep us posted as to how you get on if you decide to show him.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I can't see why not - totally agree with what the above posts say and yourself, it would be a shame not to!

Good luck!