Our sister sites
Our sister sites
weeshell
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2007, 06:11 PM

Newbie to dog showing - advice plz!

Hi all,
I was wondeing if anyone could help me. i have recently bought my first dog (monty the mischevious pom) and i was wondering how i would go about getting started in showing him? its something i've always wanted to do when i eventually got a dog but i just dont know how to get started! how do i fing out about 'ringcraft' classes ect. oh and how do i know if my wee bundle of fluffy joy is even good enough to show?! - i live in newcastle btw -

any advice or tips would be gratly apreciated!!!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi i am new to this as well, i am currently doing ring classes which is really good fun for both of us.

I found out about ring classes by contacting the kennel club direct. I did find that they were only a couple around so i do have to travel.

When i bought jess my newfoundland i did a lot of checking into her breeding to find what her lines were before i bought her as i knew i wanted to start showing.

If i were you i would find out where some local dogs shows are being held and go take a look at the "competition". Does the breeder of your pup show, if so can you talk to them, they normally are full of good useful advice.

The kennel club website also tells you the "standard" of your dog and what is good and what can be classed as a fault.

Hopefully somebody else will come along with more experience but i wish you well.

Just wanted to add - Welcome to Dogsey
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Depending which side of Newcastle you are in, there is a ringcraft at Powburn but that may be a little too far. I think there is also one in Morpeth.

Good luck

Helen
pugsly
New Member!
Female 

07-02-2007, 05:31 PM
i was thinking of maybe showing and dont have any idea where to start, ring classes sounds like a good first step but what then?
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I would get in touch with your poms breeder to find out if they think your pom has potential of becoming a show dog. As for ringcraft contact the kennel club who will be able to tell you where your nearest one is.

Jenny
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Once you have assessed whether your dog is suitable for showing just scan the dog papers for details of shows and apply for a schedule!
I'm going to enter Wilson into his first show even though he doesn't have a full coat yet lol!
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2007, 07:01 PM
the first thing you need to do, is speak to your breeder, ask there advice, as to whether they think your dog is show potential, it is considered good manners to ask your breeder there opinion before you go any further.

Is your breeder local to you, if so , they may be able to point you in the right direction, also will be able to access your dog for you.

The kennel club , will be able to tell you your nearest righcraft, then go along and enjoy!
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

07-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Quite ofter the local obedience classes will be able to help with the address of your nearest ringcraft. Some obedience also do ringcraft, that's where I first did it, so long ago now that thinking back I don't remember there being any classes specifically for ringcraft!!! Try asking at your local pet shop, they might have the answer, or even the Vet. Kath