Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Any potential ?

Hi
I am thinking of showing Nudge this year & wondered if anyone thought she has any potential.
She is 35 wks tomorow, weights about 21Kg and is 19 " at the shoulder.
If you think she is rubbish don't be afraid to say, I didn't get her just to show, thought it would be something extra to do with her.

Thanks for looking.
(oh, I know my floor is filthy, it's not been cleaned since we got back from our walk!)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Deffinately, how old is she know?

She looks very good for a pup, i'd advise u to look up a ringcraft class, they will tell you all you need to do to prepare.

thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:21 PM
not for me to pass comment on the strength of a photo, but by way of a tip....you'd be better off free standing her, Labs look so much better in natural stance.

hth
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Very nice, although I know nothing about showing Labs!

But I think it would definitely be worth pursuing!

Have you tried free standing her though? Labs do tend to be freestood rather than stacked, although there's no harm in stacking if that's what you prefer.

Just try not to hold the tail up too much though, just my humble opinion though you understand!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:27 PM
I think she looks a beauty, go to a show and have a look around even as a spectator shows can be good fun!
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:31 PM

Dont know anything about showing, or stacking, as you can tell.
this shot is a bit more natural I think.
We go to training evrey week when I'm not working nights so will speak to them about it.
They are very helpful and know a bit, so, fingers crossed.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:34 PM
much better - more natural...although tell whoever it is to leave her flippin tail alone

you will need to stand further away from her too, and not hold a treat in front of her nose (I know why you are doing it atm) you need to be upright with her looking up at you, slow wagging that tail in its natural position
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Very nice!

Let us know how you get on!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:41 PM
She looks really nice!!

As has already been said, Labs are shown free standing, i have never seen one stacked in the ring, although some people do practice with pups stacking them on a table. If you do this, one thing to remember is that labs have to hold their tails out straight behind them ideally as it gives a better overal outline so try not to encourage her to hold her tail up

Although your girl looks a perfect weight to me, dont be surprised if you do show to have people telling you to get weight on her. It seems to be 'fashionable' for show labs to be very very heavy. Its not as bad now as it was when we started out with our pups (now 2 years old) but they are still a little on the heavy side for my liking. We had a lot of comments (even by judges!!) that our dogs would do better if we fed them up a bit... Shocking really!!!

From that pic, and my limited experience and knowledge she looks like a nice girl. Obviously she still has some maturing to do but she has a fairly nice amount of bone, lovely feet and she is a beautiful dark chocolate colour (sooooo rare in show labs!!) and looks to have good pigment!!

I wish you luck if you do show her and look forward to hearing how she does!

I've attached a pic of our chocolate lab free standing. She does stand fairly well (although often refuses to hold her tail straight!!!!!) but just to give you an idea, you want your girl stretched out fairly well like you had her (though not too much as she is quite young still!!) try to encourage her to stand as square as possible, but judges allow for a fair amount of fidgetting of course, and the most difficult thing is to keep her looking at you! VERY hard with a pup in a ring full of other baby labs, but the judges to like to see the heads and front particularly in profile..

Anyway, here's our Meg. She could do with her back legs a bit further back in this pic but you get the idea!!

skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
much better - more natural...although tell whoever it is to leave her flippin tail alone

you will need to stand further away from her too, and not hold a treat in front of her nose (I know why you are doing it atm) you need to be upright with her looking up at you, slow wagging that tail in its natural position
I'll tell him to leave her butt end alone! lol

she is very quick to learn so she is being taught to present at a stand now unless a sit is asked for.

Thanks heaps all
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >