Our sister sites
stephenkeane
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2007, 06:36 AM

Can anyone help! (teaching sit/wait)

Hi folks
I hope every one is well.

I have been going to dog classes for a few weeks with bella and every thing was going really well she has learned to sit and lie down but she will not sit and waite has any one any tips on this as we are ending up in the dog house after each class L.O.L
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 10:20 AM
my little girl used to do this and it took along time, we used to sit on the floor at home with her and have treats put in a sit and hold the treat while saying stay as wiat was not working, we did this for a while then started to do it standing and moving away alittle at a time with treat just out of reach. started with her just saying for a few sec and a time and treating then making her wait longer. she is now waiting upto 5mins very happy and she does not get a treat ever time now. hope this helps good luck let us now how you do.
stephenkeane
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2007, 11:04 AM
thanks will give that a try
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Yes in our training class we would say 'sit' 'wait' then take one step back and then say '(dogs name) here/come' and reward them. Then gradually build up the amount of steps you take back, it does take a while, but realyl worth it

We can walk very far away from roxy now whilst she is sat there, and shes just grasped 'down' whilst we are far away from her (without her running to us and then lying down), really good fun
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 12:18 PM
My teacher doesn't recommend recalling the puppies if you are asking them to stay until they have learnt stay. So we do the sit/stay command then one step back then go back to them and treat them for staying then progress further and further back. Once they have understood the stay command then you can do the recall. This is so that if you have to shout stay at them from a distance in an emergency they wont decide to run back to you, such as if they have got over the otherside of a road, they are happy to wait until you get them.
Becky
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Good point. Might try getting roxy to stay just on a spot next time. Although its extremely difficult to get a dog to stop mid flow!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
My teacher doesn't recommend recalling the puppies if you are asking them to stay until they have learnt stay. So we do the sit/stay command then one step back then go back to them and treat them for staying then progress further and further back. Once they have understood the stay command then you can do the recall. This is so that if you have to shout stay at them from a distance in an emergency they wont decide to run back to you, such as if they have got over the otherside of a road, they are happy to wait until you get them.
Becky

My teacher recommends the same. I can take four steps away from Ivan and then go back. Sorry just a little boast
stephenkeane
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2007, 03:19 PM
all good advice thanks