Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Savannah
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2007, 11:53 PM

weight gain for dogs

i have a 3 yr old Walker hound whom i just can not get weigh on or to stay on. we are doing the natural diet which seems to be helping but he is so:smt026 :smt026 :smt026 that progress is very slow. does any one have any recomendations. also i have heard that getting him fixed would help with the ADDness a little is that true.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Dogs only put weight on after neuter if they are fed too much and exercised too little, same as entire dogs would get overweight for the same reasons

Firstly and most importantly, what has the vet said about his weight and general health ?

How long have you had him and has he been underweight all the time he has been with you or is it a recent weightloss ?

How long has he been on the food he has at the moment ?

I dont feed raw to my dogs, I dont personally believe its natural at all but thats just me.
Soooo, for help for you from those who do feed raw, what percentages of meat to veg does he get ?

Any supplements ?

Does he have any food intollerances you are aware of ?

Is he at a good fitness level ?

What is his coat condition like ?

The more you can tell us the more we can help :smt001

Out of interest, which variety of Walker Hound is he and can we see pics ?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 11:56 AM
It could be hormones keeping his weight down, I've had this with a few male dogs over the years and about six months after castration, they have started to calm down and fill out.
My worst was a cavalier who was a bag of bones, luckily his coat hid what he looked like but if people in the street stroked him they could feel every protruding bone and asked if I had just rescued him. approx 6 months after castration he filled out nicely and never got over weight at all. I think he used to just stress his weight off.
Dogs only get overweight after castration if thier exercise is dropped off or if they are fed too much.
I have a dog and a bitch now and both have been done and are both at ideal weights. I've had no problems with either of them gaining too much weight.