Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 06:24 PM

I have a confession to make!! (Long)

Hi guys,
I have a confession to make!!!
I haven`t been on much lately because i feel really guilty and i know im going to get loads off stick off some of you guys.

Some of you will remember me asking everyone what their opinion was on what breed of dog to get after Tia had to go back to the rescue. Well after stupidly ignoring alot of the advice given, i decided to get an Australian Cattle dog!

Well Diesel is now living with a friend of mine
Because he was far too rough with the kids, i know your probably all thinking, "but he is only a pup" but he really was rough. The kids couldnt even walk past him without him nipping at their feet, and he drew blood on a couple of occasions.
First i was going to sell him on, but i decided that would be unfair, and i knew i wanted to stay in touch with whoever he went to, so i asked my friend if she was willing to take him on, as i knew she was looking for a dog and she has no kids. I can assure everyone he is being really well looked after. But i was really worried about telling everyone i had rehomed him.

The other thing was, nissanmad posted a thread on here the other day, about a vet giving out advice about rehoming pups at 5 weeks old, actually they wasn`t even 5 weeks old. I am the person that has that pup. I am really struggling as i have never even seen a pup at that age let alone looked after one. Which is why i have spilt my heart out to you all, as i know you give out really good advice.

Please go easy on me, as my head is all over the place

If any of you have any questions, or want to have a go, then go ahead, i think im prepared for anything that heading my way.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 06:28 PM
sorry to hear that, but as you have said you should of listened but dont worry hun at least you are honest and can say you have made a mistake i am not having ago.

do you have any pics of the little pup and what would you like to now hun if i can help i will do, i have a couple of litters so now they can be small but if i can help will do you can pm if you want.

good luck

sam
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Thank you sjpurt

Here are 2 pics of him,

Well at the moment im not sure if i should change his food.

He is having rice pudding twice a day and Beta puppy twice a day. He will wolf down the rice pudding but he keeps turning his nose up at the Beta. Its only started today, he was eating it fine before (ive had him here since friday night).
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 06:38 PM
well the pics are great what a sweetie, are you socking his food hun it might be as he is young needs it bit softer for bit longer as mum not around.

i would stick with what you are doing as long as he not losing any weight i would say doing ok, but if you get worried go to the vets.

i am sure there will be someone on here with bit more experiance than me that will give you good advice. but if i think of any thing i will le toyu now i promise.

it might just be he is just getting used to be at the new home. stick with it hun
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 06:38 PM
He looks wonderful, I`m sure you will get all the advice you need on here.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by sjpurt View Post
well the pics are great what a sweetie, are you socking his food hun it might be as he is young needs it bit softer for bit longer as mum not around.

i would stick with what you are doing as long as he not losing any weight i would say doing ok, but if you get worried go to the vets.

i am sure there will be someone on here with bit more experiance than me that will give you good advice. but if i think of any thing i will le toyu now i promise.

it might just be he is just getting used to be at the new home. stick with it hun

Yes, ive been soaking it in kettle water and letting it cool.

Ive tried to make his crate as cosy as i can. Ive put him a blanket in with another blanket rolled up round the edge so he has got something to cuddle up to, ive got him a heatpad that goes in the microwave so he can snuggle up to that, and ive put him one of the kids little teddy`s in with him.
Joe
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Hi Sara. I'm not one to have a go at anyone and I think you know you cocked up. The advice given in here is for the best - as I'm sure you know. I hope this little ball of fluff will be very happy
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Glad you are back Sara and everyone makes a mistake now and again so don't worry Your new puppy is lovely. We once had a pup at 5 1/2 weeks old about 27 years ago and she was fine. The woman who's puppies they were couldn't cope and said she had to rehome them right away.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 07:10 PM
sorry Sara but i am not going to be as nice as everyone else. Yes you have admitted your mistakes but you are the very reason why in my opinion so many dogs end up in rescue and part of this site I firmly believe is to try and promote dog awareness - you did ignore everyone's advice on the cattle dog, you still went out and got on and I am sorry to say but I feel in 10 weeks time you may be posting that this 5 week pup at 15 weeks is now biting your kids.

As the owner of a rescue dog and being somewhat involved in rescue etc it just makes me angry.

Whilst I commend you for admitting your mistakes - you havent really learnt from them as you really shouldnt have taken on a 5 week old puppy having just rehomed another young dog and a rescue before that - genuine reasons or lack of training on your part regarding bite inhibition. I think at the time I felt your kids were too young for you to cope with that and a dog yet you have gone further down that route once again.

I cant imagine what breeders are out there that think its ok to rehome a 5 week old pup and to someone who has just had to rehome their own young puppy.

Sorry but you did ask and that is how I feel .
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I think it's quite sad that you should feel so apprehensive about 'confessing' as you put it, on a forum.

There are no written guarantees with a dog, any dog. You did what was best for you and your family. Sure, it's not ideal, but then show me what is. Hope it works out well for you.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »