Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 01:23 PM

Jess is ill - diarrhea

I have to be a bit graphic in this thread as I have no other way to describe the problem...

Im really worried about Jess, last night she had her evening walk.
She did her first poo outside (we were proud, we have been trying to get her to do her pottys outside for awhile now) so we praised her and, of course, picked it up in a pooper bag, it was unusually sloppy so I did what I could to clean it up.

After her walk when she got home (about 9pm) she had her supper and after a short while she slept, and we could her rumbles in her tummy, she must of been in pain, poor little thing.
When we got in bed she dashed out to the hall to her papers and I followed to clean it up, and she had diarrhea, and alot of it, she cried abit when it was happening as it must of scared her.
Sorry for describing this but maybe you could help me if you know what it was like.
The colour was very dark brown almost black, it was half slop half water...
I checked but no worms or foriegn objects...

She has not ate anything differentin her diet lately and not been wormed in a few weeks.

The only thing she has had that isnt usual is she ate a tiny amount of grass and mud outside.

She has had this before a few weeks ago so im worried, she just had another round of diarrhea now when we got home from her walk, I am thinking maybe it is the exercise from her walks, yet my partner has said it could be because she is eating almost straight away after she has got home from a walk, I didnt know this is bad...

Any help would be appreciated as im very worried...

Kye xxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I never feed just before or after exercise, but as she was a bit "sloppy"on the walk, it could be she has simply got an upset tummy

Starve for 24 hours, giving only cooled boiled water with a small pinch of salt & a couple of teaspoons of sugar/glucose to each 500 mls. No milk or milk products

Then overcooked rice(cooked until it is sticky otherwise it will exit in the same form you fed it in), you can add a small amount of lightly boiled fish/chicken flaked/minced up finely. You can add some live bio yoghurt or feed this separately. feed several same meals

If she is ok with the starvation & rice meals and isn't dehydrated(you can test her by gently pinching the skin on her back between thumb & forefinger & if it returns to normal immediately she's not dehydrated) then you can gradually reintroduce her normal food.

Young dogs & puppies often go through bouts of stomach upsets
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Nothing to add to Jodie's excellent reply. Keep us posted - hope she's better soon xx
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Dont know if its the same thing but I had similar problems with Baku when I got him he would sometimes have really bad runny stools like you descibe, I changed his diet and haven't had it since, what are you feeding her? I was feeding science plan but have gone to raw I wonder maybe its the food is too rich or something, never had these problems with Zuki cause she came to me on Raw but when I started to change her to dry complete exactly the same thing, runny stools and that was for a few months after I changed her so went back to raw with her
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure about her eating straight after a walk, but if the diarrhoea keeps up you need to get her to a vet. She's only a baby and can't afford to lose much fluid. I think you ought to call your vet anyway, and take their advice on this. Better safe than sorry.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
Dont know if its the same thing but I had similar problems with Baku when I got him he would sometimes have really bad runny stools like you descibe, I changed his diet and haven't had it since, what are you feeding her? I was feeding science plan but have gone to raw
Jess to has the raw diet and one meal a day, mince she has that mixed with JWB.

I am taking her to the vets first thing tomo if the diarrhea is still here and going to phone them soon.

Thank you for your brillient advice Joedee, I have already given her water mixed with Glucose powder just after she had the diarrhea.
I will later on feed her some overcooked rice like you describe.

kye xxx
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post
Jess to has the raw diet and one meal a day, mince she has that mixed with JWB.

Maybe the mixing of the two is the problem, one takes a longer time to digest, am sure you shouldn't feed complete and Raw at the same sitting although I may have miss read I am sure someone will know
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Sorry your little puppy has got an upset tum. Nothing to add on the good advice already given, but I can tell you that eating grass will make the poo very dark (I know from when my dog has done this in the past and I got worried about it too!) I am also suspecting she felt sick before she got the diarrhea and that is what made her eat the grass in the first place, coz they'll always do that if they feel sick. Definitely no exercise either side of feeding. I always feed a good half an hour after a normal walk, and if it's a strenuous walk, then it should be an hour afterwards. If you take a dog out who has just eaten guaranteed it will make him/her throw up, or at least feel sick, so try never to do this. Good luck, I hope she perks up, and I think it's the exercise that's been the problem with her and the feeding too soon. Good luck though, I'm sure she'll be fine in a day or two, I hope so.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Thank you Helen, I will make sure not to feed half hour either side of feeding.
The only problem with that is she knows after her dinnertime walk she has her fave, her mince!
So she goes in kitchen, sits in front of the cooker and cries! lol

Zuba, i dont think that this mix is the problem, but I thank you for your concern, the only reason I think this is because she has been having this mix for months and it has not caused any trouble before...

inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear about Jess, my 2 went through a wee phase of loose toilet especially when we walked at the park, I put it down to what the guys had sprayed the grass with...it could just be some thing as simple as that try not to worry, your doing all the right things. Hope shes better soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >