Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 01:49 PM

Owners of Large & Small dogs

Something I've noticed recently on my walks (when Max decides to go out!!)

Today, we came across a golden retriever off lead, (they couldn't see us as we approached as the hedges etc were in the way). When the goldie ran up to Max and started to play, the owner came running over, apologising like mad and leashed her dog because Max was on a lead. I explaned that he was only on a lead because his recall isn't perfect and that she wasn't to worry. Nice dog, nice lady!

The other day whilst at the park with Hev and Teagan, several times, small terrier-types/other dogs were off lead, blatantly not under the owners control and came running up to Max and Teagan (who were on lead) and were barking and snapping at them, despite Max and Teagan being huge! The owners had no care that their dogs were out of control, didn't seem to mind that Max or Teagan could very easily have atatcked them.

Luckily, Max sees every dog as a potential playmate, so I have no problem with it, but what would have happened if he was dog-aggressive, or agressive to white dogs/Yorkies/JRT's etc?

I know that people with smaller dogs on here never fall into that category, as you guys are very aware of your own dogs temperament and why other dogs are often on lead (aggression, poor recall etc)

It just seems that small-dog owners (again, not including Dogsey people) seem to be a lot less concerned with their dogs safety in public places.

OK, I just had to get it down as a thought I'd had!!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 01:54 PM
No I totally agree with you Iso, and even worse, my mother lets her JRT off lead and she KNOWS its Dog aggressive

I think Small dog owers think its one rule for them and another for big dogs. Imagine the grief we'd get if our dogs went bounding over to their dogs. Its ridiculous

Also I think this comes from the discuassion we were having about how its funny you rarely see little dogs in training. In my training class there a standard size poodle, a lab, a Northern Inuit and now a corso .not since puppy class have I seen a small dog there!
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 01:58 PM
I think Small dog owers think its one rule for them and another for big dogs. Imagine the grief we'd get if our dogs went bounding over to their dogs. Its ridiculous
i believe alot of them think its cute and funny to see a tiny dog barking at something 5 times there size!!

Its down right dangerous and stupid!!

They would be the first to kick of if your onlead big dog defended itself!!
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 01:59 PM
i know what you mean, i know Toby is classed as a "small dog" i suppose. anyway he was once snapped at by a yorkshire terrier..he was walkingby minding his own business (he dosn't really bother other dogs outside, he will have a bit play if its one he knows, but dosn't go out of his way)....and this yorkie dived right at his face..the owner said "oooo thats cos he was walking past" silly old woman, what exactly was he supposed to do?

another time we were at roker and these people has those little pomeriain dogs, again they both had a right snap at them, luckily he managed to skirt round them, and went on his way.

now i wonder what would of been said on both occasions if he had had a go back, or if they do it to a bigger dog and it retaliates, as you say neither owner seemed bothered that their dogs would have a snap at another dog for no reason.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
No I totally agree with you Iso, and even worse, my mother lets her JRT off lead and she KNOWS its Dog aggressive

I'm with DG on this one. (In fact, I'm considering proposing to her shortly )

I know full well that I, as a large dog owner, just can't get away with half the things that owners of smaller dogs appear to get away with. And most infuriating of them all, is those few who really do seem to find it genuinely funny when their 'little Fido' takes on a dog three or four times its actual size! Grrr....
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:01 PM
I have one of each
Luckily, they are both well(ish) behaved!
Kingsley (Yorkie), isn't a 'yapper', and generally stays on lead.

The 2 bichons the other day were winding Max and Teagan up.
They ran across the field to get to us, and were agressivly snapping at Teagan (who was on a lead). Teagan was being good, but I could see her getting wound up, and even walking away didn't stop the dogs following us!
Their owner didn't care either!
She eventually leashed one of them, and the other followed.
We saw her again a bit later on, but luckily she distracted her dogs, and they didn't see us.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
I'm with DG on this one. (In fact, I'm considering proposing to her shortly )
Well, its nice to finally know someone with the same opinions
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I have had both large and small dogs so I can see both sides I'm lucky with Benji - he has absolutely no aggression in him whatsover and I have never met a dog that didn't like him (well except a couple of collie bitches but he stays out of their way now) I have never seen him snap or snarl at anyone or anything - his temperament is 100% He also never barks when he is out - don't know why he just never does.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
He also never barks when he is out - don't know why he just never does.

Thats a good thing!

The 2 bichons the other day didn't shut up!!
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I remember walking with my last staffie (bless him), if he had acted the way we saw a lot of little dogs act, he would have been DDA'ed quicker than you can say terrier

Recently at training class, a very small terrier was getting really agro at Lula (staffie puppy) and the owner kept trying to say it was Lula's fault. This little thing was also trying to take on the GSD on its other side too. The owner refused to believe two different trainers explaining to her that it was her dog causing all the problems and not the staffie or the GSD. I just don't understand it, I've only ever been bitten by small dogs (obviously all of the above isn't the dogs' fault but the owners - obviously not dogsey ppl ).
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »