Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2006, 01:55 PM

Wireless connection problems

Hello,

I have nearly got my wireless laptop to go wireless. however, sometimes when I start up my computer the connection will be there and last for an hour or so, then it disconnects and won't reconnect, it states ' wireless connection can not be found' or something on them lines. But sometimes I can't get a connection, even though I'm sitting next to the router.

I'm using at the moment an open connection with no encryption, no firewall.

I'm using a Netgear DG834G router/Modem. The two PC's are running Window's XP Home Edition and my ISP is Orange.

Also while I'm on the subject can anyone tell me how to get my PC's to see each other so that I can share folder's and the printer?

Can anyone help?

Or am I a lost cause? I must be getting old, I used to be able to work out these sort of things myself.

Ian
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett View Post
Hello,

I have nearly got my wireless laptop to go wireless. however, sometimes when I start up my computer the connection will be there and last for an hour or so, then it disconnects and won't reconnect, it states ' wireless connection can not be found' or something on them lines. But sometimes I can't get a connection, even though I'm sitting next to the router.

I'm using at the moment an open connection with no encryption, no firewall.

I'm using a Netgear DG834G router/Modem. The two PC's are running Window's XP Home Edition and my ISP is Orange.

Also while I'm on the subject can anyone tell me how to get my PC's to see each other so that I can share folder's and the printer?

Can anyone help?

Or am I a lost cause? I must be getting old, I used to be able to work out these sort of things myself.

Ian
Ian when we got our router (we're with BT) that was happening frequently but with us it was the BT cabling into the house. Once that was replaced it was fine. How's your signal strength from the router? Usually says fair/good/excellent. That type of thing.
I haven't set up our pc and laptop to share folders yet but I think I did see a network wizard to do it.
Hope this helps.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 05:44 PM
To tell you the truth Ian I would think it was likely to be the fault of your ISP if you are with Orange cos they have gone really downhill lately. I was with them but my connection was terrible and really slow - worse than dial up and then sometimes would lose the connection altogether. Orange have a lot of problems at the moment I think and a lot of unsatisfied customers. Azz put a link up about a week ago that said they were having lots of problems. I am just glad I got away from them and changed to BT when I did.

If I was you I would get a firewall quickly because you could get a bad virus if you don't have one. I downloaded that Zone alarm free one that Zuba put up last week and its brilliant. Before that I had the Norton one but I have given Norton the boot in favour of AVG free edition which also seems good.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
To tell you the truth Ian I would think it was likely to be the fault of your ISP if you are with Orange cos they have gone really downhill lately. I was with them but my connection was terrible and really slow - worse than dial up and then sometimes would lose the connection altogether. Orange have a lot of problems at the moment I think and a lot of unsatisfied customers. Azz put a link up about a week ago that said they were having lots of problems. I am just glad I got away from them and changed to BT when I did.

If I was you I would get a firewall quickly because you could get a bad virus if you don't have one. I downloaded that Zone alarm free one that Zuba put up last week and its brilliant. Before that I had the Norton one but I have given Norton the boot in favour of AVG free edition which also seems good.
Didn't realise Orange were having such problems. Quite possibly could be them especially if the router's signal is good. Definitely get AVG and Zone Alarm though, they do work a treat.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your advice, The signal strength is excellent, I don't think it is the ISP, because the laptop isn't even seeing the router let alone connecting to the internet. Also the router light for the internet is staying on a constant green which means that it is ok. I think it is something to do with my laptop, as I can be using the network with excellent strength then just press a key and it has lost it.

Strange indeed.

Ian
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your advice, The signal strength is excellent, I don't think it is the ISP, because the laptop isn't even seeing the router let alone connecting to the internet. Also the router light for the internet is staying on a constant green which means that it is ok. I think it is something to do with my laptop, as I can be using the network with excellent strength then just press a key and it has lost it.

Strange indeed.

Ian
Did you run the wireless connection wizzard to connect it all up Ian
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi Foxy,

Yes I used the wizard. I can't understand it, the other day I was surfing the internet on it for about an hour, no problems, then I stopped and tried to go back onto it and it couldn't connect, saying 'wireless connection unavailable' Is it my computer or the router I don't know.

I thought I had cracked it, but instead I think it is cracking me up!

Ian
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Foxy,

Yes I used the wizard. I can't understand it, the other day I was surfing the internet on it for about an hour, no problems, then I stopped and tried to go back onto it and it couldn't connect, saying 'wireless connection unavailable' Is it my computer or the router I don't know.

I thought I had cracked it, but instead I think it is cracking me up!

Ian
When you go into your routers address does it say connected?

This is my router screen - If I have problems I always go there first to see that the connection is working okay. If it says no connection then its Oranges fault (or BT's in my case)

Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Ian I occasionally get a similar problem. To fix it I right click on my wireless network icon in the taskbar bottom right of the screen. One of the options it then gives is to REPAIR the connection. I run this and it usually works. It may be that your wireless network is picking up interference from something, not necessarily in your own house. I know that TV signal sender gadgets can interfere, maybe someone in your neighbourhood has one of these on the go or something similar?
I would also have a go at encrypting your signal, that might improve things. If you go into your routers settings via IE you should be able to do it fairly simply...
Oh and when I tried setting my laptop up so that it could see my other pcs it wouldn't work at first because of my XP firewall, I had to turn that off and then set the inter PC network up and then turn it back on
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi,

I can connect to my router through my main pc, everything is ok, it's connected to the internet and everything. Howeve I cannot check the router through my laptop because the laptop cannot see the router I have tried clicking on 'repair' but that doesn't work because again the laptop can't connect to the router.

I feel as though I'm stuck in a vicious circle.

Ian
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >