Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 07:45 PM

What is going on? (House training)

Hi all,

Diesel has been doing really well on his house training up until today

I know he is far too young not to have the odd accident but he has really confused me today

His last accident before today was on wednesday, and now all of a sudden he has done nothing but wee in the house all day

He has also started growling at me when i pick him up

Obviously im not worried about him biting me at the moment as he is only 8 weeks old but do you think this could be some kind of dominance thing and it could be related to the weeing

I could be completely wrong but he really has shocked me

Any advice no matter how small would be really appreciated
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Sounds suspiciously like an infection - such sudden and possibly excessive [ ? ], weeing combined with growling when being picked up could be soreness or discomfort in the waterworks department.
Is he drinking more as well ?
Potential there for a bit of a temperature if any infection present, [ could be nothing to do with waterworks but any infection could possibly cause more drinking therefore more weeing ], and any discomfort or feeling off colour could be making him growly.
Discomfort is even more feasible if the growliness is only when you pick him up but it can certainly make dogs grumpy generally anyway.

Having said all that, I`m not a vet so I`m just offering possibilites which could do with checking out asap
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 08:27 PM
I dont think its a water infection as he isnt drinking anymore than usual and he hasnt got a temperature

He only had his first vaccination and was checked by the vet on monday (9th) but i wouldnt know how the vets know if they have an infection, so i will just ask him about it if he is still peeing everywhere next monday
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Aaaaah - a recent jab is worth considering as a possible and plausible cause [ among others of course ].

Dee Blanco, D.V.M - "You take healthy animals and often very quickly after you vaccinate, you can see simple things like itching of the skin or excessive licking of the paws, sometimes even with no eruptions and licking of the air. We see a lot of epilepsy/seizure, often after a rabies vaccination. Or dogs or cats can become aggressive for several days. Frequently, you'll see urinary tract infections in cats, often within three months after their [annual] vaccination. If you step back, open your mind and heart, you'll start to see patterns of illness post-vaccination."

There are loads more veterinary opinions on that site for you to look through to see if it *may* be relevent to your pup.

Temp wise - really the only way to tell if an animal has a temperature is with a thermometer [ done by a vet preferably ] as there are often no obvious signs and using the feel of the nose or ear is not really accurate at all.

A raised [ or low ] temperature is often a clear clinical sign of infection or other problem, along with other symptoms such as toilleting changes, eating habit changes, other behaviour changes [ such as unusual growling ], so I still would not rule out the possibility to be on the safe side.

Don`t forget of course, innoculations mean the introduction of infection / virus which can affect the immune system to a lesser or greater degree depending on the individual.
[ I`m not anti-innoculation, I just try to be informed on all sides thats all ].

Another question - has he had any flea or mite or other parasite treatment routinely done ? There are certain products which should not be given to any of the collie breeds especially those containing Ivermectin.

My vet was going to use one on one of my dogs with a non-specific allergy to cover all bases but the treatment available for fleas, mites and mange, [ preventative in one product ], is one he decided not worth risking when he double checked as the contraindications warn of `extreme care needed` if used on collies, [ I think it was Advocate ].
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Sara have you had a good look at Diesels tummy and around his 'bits' is there any soreness or discharge?

It sounds as if he may have a urinary tract infection, he could even have picked it up at the vets. The growling could be pain somewhere, he wouldn't necessarily drink more.

Does the urine smell fishy? I would carry on as normal taking him out as per the housetraining routine and praising performance. If you think there is a problem best to get it checked by the vet.

I would also pick him up with great care and ignore the growls, talk to him in a bright matter of fact way
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Aaaaah - a recent jab is worth considering as a possible and plausible cause [ among others of course ].

Dee Blanco, D.V.M - "You take healthy animals and often very quickly after you vaccinate, you can see simple things like itching of the skin or excessive licking of the paws, sometimes even with no eruptions and licking of the air. We see a lot of epilepsy/seizure, often after a rabies vaccination. Or dogs or cats can become aggressive for several days. Frequently, you'll see urinary tract infections in cats, often within three months after their [annual] vaccination. If you step back, open your mind and heart, you'll start to see patterns of illness post-vaccination."

There are loads more veterinary opinions on that site for you to look through to see if it *may* be relevent to your pup.

Temp wise - really the only way to tell if an animal has a temperature is with a thermometer [ done by a vet preferably ] as there are often no obvious signs and using the feel of the nose or ear is not really accurate at all.

A raised [ or low ] temperature is often a clear clinical sign of infection or other problem, along with other symptoms such as toilleting changes, eating habit changes, other behaviour changes [ such as unusual growling ], so I still would not rule out the possibility to be on the safe side.

Don`t forget of course, innoculations mean the introduction of infection / virus which can affect the immune system to a lesser or greater degree depending on the individual.
[ I`m not anti-innoculation, I just try to be informed on all sides thats all ].

Another question - has he had any flea or mite or other parasite treatment routinely done ? There are certain products which should not be given to any of the collie breeds especially those containing Ivermectin.

My vet was going to use one on one of my dogs with a non-specific allergy to cover all bases but the treatment available for fleas, mites and mange, [ preventative in one product ], is one he decided not worth risking when he double checked as the contraindications warn of `extreme care needed` if used on collies, [ I think it was Advocate ].

Thanks Patch

He has got some flea and worming treatment but neither of them have been done yet

The worming tablet i have for him is Drontal and the flea treatment is Frontline, do you know if either of them will affect him?

I dont want to give him them if they are going to make him ill
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Sara have you had a good look at Diesels tummy and around his 'bits' is there any soreness or discharge?

It sounds as if he may have a urinary tract infection, he could even have picked it up at the vets. The growling could be pain somewhere, he wouldn't necessarily drink more.

Does the urine smell fishy? I would carry on as normal taking him out as per the housetraining routine and praising performance. If you think there is a problem best to get it checked by the vet.

I would also pick him up with great care and ignore the growls, talk to him in a bright matter of fact way
Hi Minihaha

I have noticed that he has a small amount of green discharge coming from his you know what, but my mum told me its normal for a male pup

Is she talking out of her back side?

As for having a good look at his tummy, what should i be looking for

As for the smell of his urine, i cant honestly say i have smelt it

Would it be really potent?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
Thanks Patch

He has got some flea and worming treatment but neither of them have been done yet

The worming tablet i have for him is Drontal and the flea treatment is Frontline, do you know if either of them will affect him?

I dont want to give him them if they are going to make him ill

Those are fine :smt001
Always read the info of course, as with all spot on chemicals *some* animals *may* react but there are no collie worries with those.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Those are fine :smt001
Always read the info of course, as with all spot on chemicals *some* animals *may* react but there are no collie worries with those.
Phew you had me worrying then
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Not sure if this has anything to do with it but i have noticed he has real bad breath

All pups have that puppy smell, dont they?
But his breath is real potent puppy breath
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >