Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah howard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2006, 12:35 PM

puppy pooing by the front door, why?

Hi

Shearer has been going on paper by the back door, or sometimes we manage to get him outside. Past two days he's been doing it by the front door though were there is no paper?????? We're both at work (not all day before you all come down on me) so it's proving tricky to catch him before he does it
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2006, 12:39 PM
as he has been doing it on the paper he thinks that if theres no paper he should still do it there as the paper is usually down even if the paper is not down your pup will go go to the same place now as he has been taught to do it there sorry im not much help
sarah howard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover
as he has been doing it on the paper he thinks that if theres no paper he should still do it there as the paper is usually down even if the paper is not down your pup will go go to the same place now as he has been taught to do it there sorry im not much help
sorry, didn't explain well. he's been going on paper by the back door. He's no pooing where theres no paper by the front door
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2006, 12:45 PM
oops sorry didnt read properley does your front and back door look the same this could be one reason other than that i cant really suggest anything hope you get it sorted
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Maybe coz he see's you going out the front door, to him that's the way outside, i.e. where you take him out to enjoy having his poo's in the great big wide world! Sorry if I'm confusing you too, but I know what I mean, hope you do too!

A very good tip I once learned. If you pick up the poo which is at the front door, and put it on the paper at the back door, hopefully, this will make him poo on the paper at the back door next time! Usually, you do this outside the house and place the poo where you want him to go, and guaranteed he will go there the next time! I have noticed with all of my dogs over the years, that they always, but always, poo in the same spot when I let them out morning and night!

That's all I can offer, hope it's of some help and hope it's not too confusing!
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-09-2006, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=Helena54]

A very good tip I once learned. If you pick up the poo which is at the front door, and put it on the paper at the back door, hopefully, this will make him poo on the paper at the back door next time! Usually, you do this outside the house and place the poo where you want him to go, and guaranteed he will go there the next time! I have noticed with all of my dogs over the years, that they always, but always, poo in the same spot when I let them out morning and night!

QUOTE]

Never tried this but it sounds like a good idea.

Also, my thoughts are that because you went out the front door, your dog could be hanging about there waiting for you to come back. If he misses you badly enough , he may be reluctant to desert the front door area when he needs to go toilet