View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2006, 04:23 PM

Nipping and Biting puppy... how to discourage this behaviour?

What's the best way to discourage an eleven week old puppy from running up and really nipping and biting us....He gets excited and really goes in for the kill with it's teeth...it's a male. He has lots of toys and we don't hype him up. Thanks
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2006, 04:25 PM
When my JRT puppy started to nip at us we gave a short high picthed squeak and he has not nipped us since. He is 10 weeks old now and doesnt even bite new people .
It really works but might take a few attempts so stick with it
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2006, 04:26 PM
when my two were that age i used to give a firm sounding word NO everytime they went to do it i say in a loud voice no and they soon stopped it
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi Lisa biting is normal behaviour in puppies, puppies bite for a number of reasons, to explore the world around them/during play and when teething.

Biting is best curbed and channelled in the right direction when the puppy is small, he should be encouraged to bite ever more gently until no pressure is exerted at all . The best way to do this is to teach bite inhibition so that as the puppy grows up and develops powerful jaws, should he bite for any reason (like if he is in in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt) he will have been taught never to sink his teeth into human skin.

Teaching a puppy bite inhibition takes time and patience and won't be achieved in just a few days also everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.

Link to teaching bite inhibition ..
click here

If your puppy is teething try freezing a large carrot and giving that to him to chew, it is soothing to the gums