Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dogbetty
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2006, 01:49 PM

nose tumor

hi im trying to get sum information for my friend,she took in a stray dog 2 months ago which was found on the streets, it was very very under weight in fact it weighed 19 kg and is a big dog . its nose was bleeding and it cud barley walk and was so hungry it ate eveying in sight. we contacted our vets and took it to him, he in the mean time had found an animal rescue place which was going to pay for the bill which was called penn pets in manchester. the vets said that while it was so under weight he could not put him under to see in his nose as he was not strong enough to come threw. we took him home and have been feeding him up his nose was running 4 about 4 weeks but we thought the tablets the vet gave him were working he ate and went for walks when he got stronger. today she rang me up the dog nose was pooring with blood and would not stop , blood was every were. we went to the vets and they said it is mostly likely a tumour now .they said it could be days or months before the end. it just depends this poor dog also has testicle cancer 2 but they said to operate would be crule as his nose is going to be his down fall, anybody had this as we would like sum information on how to help this poor dog who has not had a good life. we just wanted to make sure he has a happy life no matter how long.the vets said he is about 8 and is still under weight weighin today 22kg.any help thanks
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2006, 02:01 PM
The poor thing. Unfortunately I can't offer any help just admiration for your friend for taking in the old guy and making what little time he has left happy.
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2006, 06:54 PM
hi yes my friend had a great dane with a crusty nose tumour which sounds like what this dog has,she survived a good 2.5 years after the tumour was diagnosed and was healthy when she was pts but we couldnt do anything to stop the bleeding over a period of weeks it sharted to bleed more and more and the lenght of time it took to stop it got longer and longer so in the end it was decided that the time had come to let her go it was very sad cos she didnt seem in any pain and was happy in everyway,good luck with this dog and well done to you and your friend for trying it give it a good home
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Sadly most nose tumours are not good news, only your friend can make the decision to fight or give the dog peace. Sorry.
dogbetty
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2006, 07:02 PM
hi thanks for your support and advice, he is a lovely dog and its so sad 2 see him bleeding but he seems happy at the moment enjoying his walks.at least we know when the time comes he had a happy few months. thanks again
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm sorry dogbetty I could not give a more positive reply, you seem to have the right approach to such a difficult problem, thoughts are with you all.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi dogbetty how kind of your your friend taking in this poor dog..so what can we do to help make the last few months better...

Regarding the weight, the rule is a little and often and I would feed three meals a day ,they need to be small but nutritious.

I would give porridge and honey in the morning with a raw egg beaten into it, fish or meat and meal for the next two meals. Sardines in oil are good and will help to increase weight.

Now the nose,there is a 'for humans' product on the market and although it may not normally be suitable for a dog in these circumstances it may help,the spray looks the best option..

If we can help at all please come back and ask..
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi, sorry to hear about this poor dog and his problems

Thank goodness your friend was kind enough to take him in.
I've had experience of a dog with nose tumour - our lab x whippet. She was diagnosed with it at just over 12, had one operation, recovered very well, but it started to come back as we'd thought so she was eventually put to sleep before it got too bad at 14 years.

Hers had been caused by trauma to the nose by her first owner who used to hit her on the nose to make her Stay.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 03:48 PM
hi dogbetty, poor boy has had a rough time of it hasnt he, well done to your freind for giving him some much needed love and attention, im sorry nothing can be done for him but at least he is happy now and can spend the remainder of his life in some comfort xx
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I am so sorry to hear of this dogs plight...a pat on the back to your friend and all I can suggest is let the next few months be the best one can offer.....you might find that he will pull through all of this and it will be all down to you and yoour friend.....I am sure he will be fine.....we love our dogs dont we...