Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:00 PM

He Can Swim!!!

Took Loki over to a river this morning and after paddling in the shallow end he didn't realise there was a deep end and jumped right in.

After he came up for breath :smt005 he doggie paddled around, bless him, it was sooooo sweet . Only trouble was the bank was high and he couldn't get out so I had to pull him . I'm amazed I've gone overdue, the amount of pulling of Loki I've done recently. He looked ever so thin soaked to the skin.

And aren't dog people brilliant? A lovely man, whose house we parked outside, was a Newfie owner and came out to chat about Loki and dogs.

Great morning!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:10 PM
awww you sound sooo happy. Lovely post LS. Sounds like a lovely walk too!!! The first time our BC went for a swim, we were walking by a canal...he fell in ...then proceeded to get a lily pad stuck over his face so he couldn't see where to go to get out!!!! He managed in the end , but he's still not too keen on water!!!!
Carry on pulling loki out of rivers, you'll end up giving birth on the river bank with Loki as your birthing assisitant!!!!!!!!! :smt043 :smt044 :smt043
Some dooggy people are so nice aren't they...one of the many reasons i love having dogs!!!!

You know what, I've never met Loki, but I love him to bits...a dog with stacks of personality, I love that!:smt049 :smt049 :smt041
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Aw poor dog Ailsa, that must have been bit scary for him. Do you still take him to rivers?

LOL well I wouldn't mind a natural birth ...

Aw thanks for saying that about Loki - he is certainly a character, never a quiet moment.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi LS, yep, we still take him walking by canals and rivers but he tends not to try and reach in and pull out things anymore!!!!! Bless. He did get a shock, but he takes things in his stride! It was me that was the most upset I think...poor oH was about to get pushed in to save him as he made it to the side!!!!!!!!

We wouldn't want our dogs to be anything other than characters would we?!!!! Bless! That's why we love 'em!!!!
Ax
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:29 PM
awww, he sounds like he enjoyed that little swim, I think I might take mine to the beach this week-end and see if they'll swim. Cassie has never been in deep water, well she's been in deep water many a time, but not for swimming in!!

Yes, they look like greyhounds don't they when they're wet!! I keep telling my vet this when he comments on Georgie's extra weight, I tell him he's skinny when wet, but he just laughs at me!!

I remember my spaniel went charging into the river one day, but the tide was out and it was thick horrible deep sludge, yuk, there was no way I was going to follow her, I'd have got stuck in that, but luckily she came back plastered in this stinking mud all over her, she looked a right sight!!

One of my previous gsd's would hone in on any water that was around, and one day we thought we'd lost her, but managed to find her paddling for her life in this small river coz the banks were so steep she would never have got out of there! Dave had to hold the back of my trousers whilst I leaned right over and grabbed her by the scruff of her neck. That was a very scary moment for both dog and me!!

Glad to hear Loki has bounced back yet again and is enjoying life again, and glad you're ok too in your condition Won't be long now, I bet this heat really gets you down too
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Ailsa with OH about to be pushed in.
Aw Helen - we had a GSD too who loved to swim. I think yours will love the sea - we took Loki to the sea last year and he really enjoyed barking at it. He hs been in water lots of times but I don't think he's been forced to swim before.

It seems to come naturally to them?

I know - I was due 14th - fed up with having a bump in the way now 'Tigger' is like his dad - no sense of urgency!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:43 PM
We always took all the others coz we lived right on the sea-front, but I hated the way the salt got into their long coats, even though I hosed them afterwards, but poor Cassie has never been down there so I really must take them, they'll have great fun won't they splashing around together!! Can't wait, I will do it tomorrow!

Tigger will come when he's ready, let's hope you are though!!! I was a late one too, and my Mum told me she had just sat down to a lovely roast lamb meal which she'd been looking forward to all day, but I wasn't gonna wait!!! All the best with the delivery too
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Sophie learnt to swim last summer when she fell in a friends olympic size pool ........we all rushed over but she was ok doggie paddled to the edge ( kids jumping off slides as well ) ..she never went within 10 foot of it all the rest of the day though
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
We always took all the others coz we lived right on the sea-front, but I hated the way the salt got into their long coats, even though I hosed them afterwards, but poor Cassie has never been down there so I really must take them, they'll have great fun won't they splashing around together!! Can't wait, I will do it tomorrow!

Tigger will come when he's ready, let's hope you are though!!! I was a late one too, and my Mum told me she had just sat down to a lovely roast lamb meal which she'd been looking forward to all day, but I wasn't gonna wait!!! All the best with the delivery too
Aw lucky Cassie - I shall look forward to hearing all about it and hopefully some pics too?

You came between a heavily pregnant woman and her dinner? :smt103 :smt103 :smt103
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
Sophie learnt to swim last summer when she fell in a friends olympic size pool ........we all rushed over but she was ok doggie paddled to the edge ( kids jumping off slides as well ) ..she never went within 10 foot of it all the rest of the day though
Blimey Inca! Case of sink and swim then!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >