Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2006, 01:08 PM

Blondi - Two Weeks On

It's now been a little over two weeks since we've started following Rob Alleyne's advice re Blondi's behaviour patterns.

One major factor is food; odd considering that I've never really given it much thought before. We now feed Burns food exclusively, and already Blondi does appear to look much better for it. I know for a fact that she's not moulting nearly as much, as I used to get brush loads each day. Now, I'm lucky to see one brush load each day. I had visions of her looking skinny after changing foods, as I've had dogs before that have done the same when having their food changed, particularly to a dried food. So far, there are no signs of it, and if anything, I would say she's filled out a little, making her appear a little more muscular. I doubt that is the case physically, but the appearance is there.

Her "leave" command is 100% successful around the house, and in the garden, (unless it's another dog, as we learned earlier in the week.). That in itself is a remarkable feat, considering how she was prior to Rob's visit. It doesn't matter what the target object is, her favourite ball, food, anything. The second she hears "leave", she drops the target and walks away from it.

She's still getting used to the "go to bed" command. She now clearly associates the words with the action, but she's just not so keen in staying in it. I'll tackle that by delaying the period between her going to bed and me rewarding her for doing it.

Sit-Stay: I'm quite pleased in this area. Traditionally, the second I've gone to put my coat on, let alone grab the leash, she's gone berserk and started running around the house. So, to counter this, I've started sitting and staying her, then started off by walking to my coat, rewarding, then extending it each time, to putting one arm in my coat, until now I can put the coat on without issue, and grab the leash, and still find her sat in the living room. Again, in the respect of her speed of learning, I'm a remarkably lucky dog owner. She makes my work really easy, so long as I give the right direction.

Walking hasn't been such a success but that's entirely down to me, as with my back in its present state, I just can't handle her when she does decide to go into full throttle. And so, I'm not even trying at the moment, as I won't be able to follow through if she decides to do as she wants, and not as I want. If you can't follow through, don't do it! Much better to wait until I'm back to full strength and start again.

She is, undoubtedly, and by far, a much calmer dog, who now more often than not, doesn't follow me from room to room. Each time she doesn't I return with a reward to show that she's doing what I'd really like her to do. It seems to be paying off. Sometimes she does forget, but that's now much more the exception than the rule. I don't think she's even bothered to try jumping on the bed, or the sofa, and doesn't come looking for attention. We call her to us to give her attention, asking her to sit calmly as we do so. Because she's still quite excitable, we have to withdraw as we see her getting over-excited.

I think since Rob's visit, I have been mouthed only once! That is a huge step forward, considering we are now stroking her more too. We can stroke her anywhere now without getting mouthed. Though we have to make sure that we always have a rattle bottle to hand in case she does. Touch wood, we haven't needed it for quite some time!

Overall, I'm really very pleased with the changes on her. I curse that my back has pulled at a most inopportune time but these things happen. However, it'll right itself, and all the indoor stuff should help her to focus on me more, in the meantime too.

If there are typos and spelling errors, it's because I'm rushing as the snooker has started!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Excellent news! Wish my Till's was as intelligent, she's so slow in picking things up it's unreal. We started off great then it all kinda went downhill from there lol I'm lucky in that Till's doesn't pull on the lead. The only time she pulls is when she wants to meet people
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Intelligence is great, so long as you remember that they learn the bad things as easily and as quickly as they learn the good!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2006, 07:50 PM
glad you feel more relaxed and things are improving.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Im so glad that things seem to be getting better for you both, its amazing how a stranger can come into your home and get you all back on the right track, but am sorry to hear that you are suffering with a bad back....welcome to my world and I have a 50kg rottie that can be a puller at times...ouch !!

Steph x
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 03:43 PM
That is fantastic news. You are an inspiration and Blondi is one lucky dog xx
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Nice one! Well Done
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Well done and well done to Blondi for such great progress. You must feel very proud of her, and rightly so. Time and perseverence