Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 03:11 PM

More things to Teach Roxy. Any ideas?

Hello guys, i am trying to keep Roxys mind thinking at the moment but im running out of things to teach her as she quickly gets bored of the current tricks.

We've pretty much conquored:

Sit
Stay/Wait
Lay Down
Hold (something in her mouth)
Roll Over
Recall/Come
Paw
Leave (work in progress)
Open (her mouth)

Is there anything else i can teach Roxy that is new to prevent her from getting bored? the only things that are mentioned in books are sit, stay, come and laydown.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Ooh! This is fun! Does she do a nice retrieve yet? That can kill a bit of time, and there are no limits to the amount of polishing you can do. Or how about "find your toy". That's one that you start off REALLY easy (toy right in front of the dog), and then get progressively harder (toy hidden in sofa cushions), but it offers loads of scope for setting up boredom-breaker games.

Don't forget to extend your training to as many different situations as possible. For example, when you've got the down stay working in the sitting room, take it into the garden, eventually graduating to down stay in park surrounded by other dogs (am I making any sense anymore?) Just remember that even the cleverest dogs find it difficult to apply their learning to new situations, so what works in one scenario may have to be retaught from scratch when you take it to another.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2006, 04:15 PM
There is a book available virtually everywhere called everything dog training cost £9.99 should give lots of ideas and explains how to achieve them.
paw, high five,wave,bow, play dead, belly up, roll over,spin,are you scared,kiss, speak. then moves on a level at a time.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-06-2006, 04:20 PM
My fave is find your ball. At the moment the grass is really long up the park but he manages it everytime. Takes him a while sometimes, can't be the only one having problems either, he found a brand new ball on a rope in the grass yesterday. All I have to do now is teach Rio to stop interrupting him while he's searching.
mustards mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2006, 04:20 PM
You could also try :-

Nose, put your hand out and say "nose" and get her to jump up and put her nose on it, you can then use "nose bed, nose chair, nose konga.... you get my drift!!!? (starting with the object by her nose and moving it further away each time...... hope that makes sense)

Twist, have the dog standing in front of you and with a treat in your right hand make a circular motion around the dog (bit difficult with our size dogs but possible) and when she does a Twist reward her

Turn, exactly the same as twist but clockwise.

Bow, using a treat bring it under her nose while standing until she just drops her front legs and chest on the ground........

oops getting a bit carried away
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by mustards mum
oops getting a bit carried away
No this is perfect i want to be able to get good ideas so i can just print them off and sit there with her for 10 or so mins a night. keep em' coming!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by duboing
Does she do a nice retrieve yet?
Do you mean 'fetch' if so, shes so-so about it. sometimes she gets the ball and then sometimes she looks at it and then wonders off as if to say 'you bl**dy well get it'
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Quality!!! As in "If you wanted the ball, why did you throw it away?"
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by trouble21
There is a book available virtually everywhere called everything dog training cost £9.99 should give lots of ideas and explains how to achieve them.
paw, high five,wave,bow, play dead, belly up, roll over,spin,are you scared,kiss, speak. then moves on a level at a time.
We've got the high five, down low working a treat now - so funny to watch except silly pup gets carried away and tries it with both paws sometimes
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Sendies I love teaching sendies-totally pointless exercise but it incorporates different things you have already taught her

Several ways I use toys & a target trainer for Rjj as he is toy obsessed

First I taught him to touch my hand for a treat(when he is hungry ) & then to teach the ball on the top of the Target trainer(which is three parts-the base & the ball on the top of a stick with a round end(Some people use Alley Oops but these aren't being made anymore I think)

I use a Magnawobble

Once the dog has learnt to touch the target trainer ball I put the TT together & stay a few feet away from the TT & tell the dog to go touch(well go do touchies ) & it should run out to to the TT when it is rewarded(treat/clicker & treat/toy etc)

Eventually I can get yards away from the TT. I then give the down command having already taught the instant down ! when the dog reaches the TT & has touched it & then reward

Obviously my aid is for competitive obedience to I eventually teach a recall to heel to finish the exercise

You could just use a small foam ball on the end of a piece of dowel & use an upside down plant pot to make the target