View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 12:40 PM

would you help someone elses dog if in danger?

how many of you would help someone elses dog if it was in danger.
i mean dogs you dont know and not a friends dog or your own.

Reason i ask is i mentioned about indie running off today to a friend and she said that she would never grab someone elses dog even if it were gonna get hit by a car or something as she wouldnt want to get bitten and would not put herself at risk. and that its not her responsibility if 'some **** has decided to let their dog off lead'. as she put it

Im on the other end of the scale.. if i saw someones dog running in the street and they were trying to get it back, i would go and help and grab the dog if necessary. The only time i wouldnt was if i seriously felt that the dog was dangerous. But generally i dont think id put a second thought to it. I wouldnt want to see a dog get hurt and if it were me, id want someone to help me too.

what are ur opinions on this?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I tend to act before I think so I would no doubt help before worrying about possibly being bitten
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 12:44 PM
i have to agree with you i would help if i didn't feel the dog was threatening or dangerous i hope someone would help me if molly got into danger
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 12:45 PM
i would help without even thinking about it.

Toby once ran off after getting a fright, a couple let me cut through their garden as he had ran through ... in fact the man came with me, and their friend who had just dove away, stopped further down the street and managed to get hold of Toby and waited for me to catch up. They were all so kind
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Totally with you Jenny, i would and i have helped in that situation.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 12:49 PM
I would help.

It's not the same as the road thing but I was in a park with my old dog a few years back and he led me to this copse of trees where there was a ditch and there was a dog stuck down the ditch, crying and scrabbling trying to get up, so I went down there and pushed/dragged him back up.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Well I for one would definitely do it, and have done so in the past many a time. I once picked up a gsd lying in the road at rush hour, big traffic jam, blood pouring out of it's mouth and a great big lorry driver standing over it frightened to help it!! I went to put it in the back of my car, moved mine onto the back seat to rush it to the vets, but luckily for me along came a policecar to see what was holding up all the traffic and he kindly took the dog in the back of his car to the vets. One morning i found 2 beautiful black labs wandering up my close alongside my house when I opened the back gates, so I grabbed hold of their collars, whisked them into my back garden and phoned the dog warden and police. Only the other morning I found a gorgeous little Italian greyhound, frightened out of it's wits, running down towards the main road when I stopped off at the car park to walk my two. It was so frightened, it wouldn't let me get hold of it or come to me but it seemed to like Cassie, so I called Cassie over to me and was able to get hold of the dog and put a lead on it. A poor elderly man appeared from over the top of the hill, thoroughly exhausted, and told me the dog had just run off without warning and had never, ever done that before in it's 5yrs. he'd had it He couldn't thank me enough for saving it from running off to the main road.
There's probably more, but I've forgotten them now
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 12:53 PM
shes even saying she wouldnt help a lost dog. saying that im stupid for putting myself at risk with a dog i dont know

ive always stopped to help lost dogs. i dont think its fair to leave them their scared and lost. i always try and catch a lost dog to phone the owner.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 12:57 PM
There was another time, again very early in the morning, I saw a timid gsd running along the main road on it's own. I turned the car around to follow it, and luckily enough who was coming down the road but a police doghandler Well, we managed to corner this dog in somebody's driveway, it was desperately trying to get away, so I got Cassie out of the car on a lead, bent down on the floor next to her and called the dog over. It came over to us coz it must have liked Cassie, so I grabbed hold of it's collar, just not thinking anything of it, but then the dog handler came over to us, went to take hold of the collar from me and this dog went for him, got away and ran off up the road again Do you knw what he said to me? "I'm not getting myself bitten for any dog!!!" and then he wet on his merry way, leaving me to try and find this dog again which I never did unfortunately. I never once thought that it would have bitten me, but it certainly didn't like him!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Maybe she's not a doggie/animal person? I'm a bit like Helen and have often been found helping out animals - ferrets, rabbits, pigeons too. I really hate it when I see an animal in trouble because I just know I won't be able to walk away until I know they're safe .
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »