View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
simbad
New Member!
Male 

02-04-2006, 10:07 PM

samoyed health (Rescue dog has hip dysplasia and diabetes)

Hi was just wondering whatyou would do, i have just rescued a samoyed, who i have had vet checked, she has diabetes and hip diplasia what would you do, keep her or send her back? I was not been informed of this!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Personally I would keep her, and get her medical problems treated....
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Can I ask if you rehomed the Samoyed thru the Breed Rescue?? They usually inform the new owners of everything..Also if she came from Breed Rescue they will help with the costs usually

How bad is the HD.. Keeping the dog active will help with this..

Personally I would keep the dog and try and make it happy and as healthy as possible..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Hello Sinbad you sound surprised the dog has health problems, were you not prepared for the possibility that might be the case if it was not health checked before you got it? You don't say how old the dog is, I think you have to be brutally honest and ask yourself can you afford the vets bills taking into account the dog will be on medication for the whole of its life and unlikely to get insurance.

If the answer is no it is better to return the dog now before you bond with it so that it can find a home with someone who can pay the costs

What would I do..well if I was taking on a rescue dog I would prefer to have a vet checks first so that I would be prepared for the worst and any subsequent health problem would not be an issue ..and I would keep it .
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 04:21 PM
If I could afford to keep her then I would What is it that is worrying you about the health problems though? Is it the cost or is it to do with something else?

You must have fallen in love with her enough to bring her home, so it would be hard to give her up again.
Her health problems won't stop her from being a loving companion

In the end it is up to you though, just do what you think is best for you and the dog
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 05:16 PM
The bottom line is can you afford the treatments she will need? if you cant then I would return her, as soon as possible, but if you can afford the medication and your concerned about how to manage with her illness, then your vet will give you plenty of advice, on how to administer any drugs required and how to monitor her, the poor girl is not having much luck.

Mo
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 05:53 PM
The HD may not be a problem, depends on how bad it is, most dogs have some degree of imperfection as do we, the perfect hip is rare but something we always aim for. The other problem is likely to need medication or special diet for the rest of the dogs life, that may even mean injections.

Should you keep it, well that depends on if you feel you can take it on, both the cost and the pain of having a less than fit dog, if it came from breed rescue they may well pay the vets costs.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2006, 07:42 PM
no dog is perfect at the end of the day - as everyone else has said - if its a question of money then you need to decide what you can do. I have a dog with HD and he is fabuoous - just turned 5 and goes to hydrotherapy for his hips and has medicine to alliev the pain when necessary - but he still stomps about like he did when he was 2 - he was a rescue too.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
no dog is perfect at the end of the day - as everyone else has said - if its a question of money then you need to decide what you can do. I have a dog with HD and he is fabuoous - just turned 5 and goes to hydrotherapy for his hips and has medicine to alliev the pain when necessary - but he still stomps about like he did when he was 2 - he was a rescue too.

We have a rescued dog with HD who is quite young and so far has not needed medication (YET). We know that in time, this will not be the case, but again we are prepared for that and also a hip replacement operation if also needed. We can't insure her (for the HD) as she was already diagnosed with HD prior to adoption, but again we knew that any dog we took on could have probs.
If it is a money worry with costs of ops and diabetic treatments etc, then I would advise you to think very carefully and practically before you make a commitment either way. Realistically, you also should bring this consideration into place before you adopt/buy a dog.

Hope that everyone here has given you the advise you need and sincerly hope that all works out for you.