Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2006, 03:40 PM

school to much too early

another kerrie moan im afriad
my karina has just turned 5, she has started reception class last september so is at school from 8.45 until 3pm today she brings homework home is it me or is this too much, her home word was a wordsearch, not one with the words given it had 20 questions with questions like 1, an insect with 6 legs(3) and 2,an animal that rhymes with coat(4) how is she suppost to be able to do this when she cant read! oh yes it has to be in by tommorow
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2006, 03:42 PM
just do it for her...they will think she is a genius ! i think they do it to assess abstract thinking...to see if she can associate words with others eg goat and coat...they expect parents to help the kids..to guide them in a way....
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2006, 03:53 PM
aww bless the home work is now been given out to younger pupils these days i remember when ga was in reception and they gave him homework it was so hard for him but we got through when you have things that have to rhyme like the one you got an animal that rhymes with coat show karina a goat and say the word split the word up thats what i used to do and now the homework ga has is even harder cos hes so advanced in reading and writing the have sent work from the juniors to infants for him cos hes flying through the work hes top of everything are they teaching phonics in karinas school its an excellent way to sound words learn words and spell words they use phonics in gareths school and its very intersting and easy for children to learn
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2006, 04:30 PM
When I was in reception we had to do things like play with sand and learn the alphabet
That seems silly to expect from a 5 year old! I suppose you are meant to do it with her, so she learns things, without actually having to do it herself
Sounds tough though.
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2006, 08:53 PM
my daughter os the same age and been at school since sep she only gets homework on a friday so we have all weekend to do it , the homework is all about what they have kearnt during the week
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2006, 09:27 PM
It's awful isn't it, our son Kieran was 4 on the 30th August and started in reception class 3 days later and was bringing homework home!

It really made me feel like I wanted to keep him home longer!
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 12:57 PM
i deff feel like kids are expected to do far too much now a days,, the older they get the worse it gets and i dont think its fair

6+ hours at school everyday is MORE than enough school work, they should only get homework say 2 evenings a week
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers

It really made me feel like I wanted to keep him home longer!
Blimey what a good mummy you are ...I waved mine off into school first day and didn't look back LOL
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by nemosmummy
i deff feel like kids are expected to do far too much now a days,, the older they get the worse it gets and i dont think its fair

6+ hours at school everyday is MORE than enough school work, they should only get homework say 2 evenings a week

i wish you were my mum...when i was at primary my mum used to get maths work from my teacher so i could do some every day during summer holidays...
We didnt really learn times tables as they were on poster on the wall, my mum thought this was terrible so got me doing maths eg times table, long division etc during summer....she also tried getting us to learn french during summers too.....
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 01:16 PM
my sisters kids go to Private summer school ..........they will grow up into clever little chappies ( WHO HAD NO CHILDHOOD )
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >