View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 06:01 PM

Would a dog crate help with a destructive dog?

not sure if this is the right place to post this but i wanted to ask , as you all no we have ozzy and he is 6months and come from kennels , but his destroying my kitchen is causing problems with me and o/h would it be fair on him if i get a create ? ella had one but she was in it from the day we brought her home for about a year so new no differant but with ozzy it differant i dont want him to think it like he back in keenels he would only be in it while i was out which is only for a couple of hours a few times a week , is it fair to introduce him to one ?? im not sure all i do no is my kitchen cant take much more [ he has nearly all the toys from the pet shop ! and bones so i think it a seperating issue he has ]
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I would give it a go, but make the crate a fun place to be - not a place he's put as punishment, otherwise he'll hate it. Feed him in it to get him used to it. Put some toys in it also - let him go in and out as much as he wants. Try shutting the door, but staying in his line of vision. It may take a while to crate-train him, but at least you know both your home, and more importantly Ozzy, are safe
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 06:08 PM
im worried he will think he is in similar to kennels ,and i dont want that just wasn sure if he was to old to introduce him to one
silv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2006, 06:56 PM
I have Saffy crated,but not Rambo.
My Boxer used to be crated too.
Both my crated dogs have appreciated their own space (the crate).Saffy goes in it in the evening when shes tired,yet she doesnt get shut away in it til we go bed.
I would deffo recommend it.I dont think Ozzy will think hes in kennels again
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 07:00 PM
thanks for the reassurance , i will try get him one there is no cupboards he aint chewed [ it a new fitted kitchen the little devil ]
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Could be that he likes kennels and what he would really like is a kennel/cage/crate. Could be he finds kitchens big scary places