Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IrishEyes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2005, 09:57 PM

Help Help Help

right ppl, im back from the dead, and with loads of Q's. i need help, ive found me pup i lurve (staffy), but in the process of making the final decisions, thing is, she will b ready to go when we planned to go on hol's and the breeder isnt willing to hold on to the pup for a week longer. we havent been on a family hol for 3 yrs!! so desperately need to get away for a week. is it fair to hand her over to a dog sitter that early??? or any suggestions wat i can do if anything? this also brings me onto my second query....can any name any good, but not too expensive dog sitters in the Kingston (surrey) area, or know where i can find out, he is a staffordsire bullterrier(this is for both my dog, and possible pup)....which brings me onto my third Q...the breeder has sed she will not accept the puppy back if her and Winston(my staffie) dont get on, which i find odd, cos all other breeders ive been too have sed the give a 7 day trial. ALSO i was just wondering if anyone can give me any information about Sarlucean (dad) and Rockstaff (mum) as i have no idea about pedigrees!!!! thanx, and i apologise for rambling on, just wary and picky!!!! thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi here, is the website for the Sarlucean staffies: http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/Sarluceanstaffords
Couldnt find th eother one
best wishes
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 10:14 PM
I can't give you advice regarding the hols, but personally I wouldn't even dream of asking a dog-sitter to look after a brand new puppy, who I'm assuming will be around 8 weeks when you get it? What happens with the toilet-training? Settling the puppy into the new house? The crying at night? The four feeds a day? The check up and innoculations at the vets? The list goes on! Personally I would either forget the holiday until the pup is much older, or get a different puppy when you aren't planning to immediately leave it with a stranger for a week.

As for the breeder - any good, responsible breeder should be willing to take a dog back from you, regardless of it's age. A good breeder will feel that this is his or her responsibility for the duration of the dog's life, nevermind a 7 day guarantee! Personally, I would avoid any breeder that refuses to take a dog of their's back like the plague - to me, they don't have the dog's welfare and best interests at heart. If I were you I'd shop around a bit more and find a breeder who is not only willing to hold the puppy for a reasonable amount of time (i.e. a week) till you're ready, but one who cares enough about the puppies they produce to take back a dog without question at any point during that dog's lifetime.

Hope this helps - it's just my opinion

Becs
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Becs said everything I would have done if she hadn't already!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Out of my two litters I have here at the moment, 5 of them are staying for between 2 - 4 weeks longer due to holidays, this is something I always stress at the time, knowing they are summer litters people do have holidays planned, I think any good breeder would hold the pup for you, especially as it's only 1 week.

I also put in writing that the pup MUST come back to me if any problems arise, if the breeder isn't prepared to do this, then like Becs has said avoid them like the plague! They are only interested in the ££££ signs and not the welfare of their pups.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-06-2005, 11:58 PM
I am sorry no matter how lovely the puppy is I would be inclined to walk away from this one. If the breeder is not prepared to keep the puppy for an extra week, or take it back if there is a problem, but is prepared to let it go to a dog sitter to me they are not very caring breeders. These first weeks are the most important in a dogs life and great care should be taken to make sure everything is done to make the change from breeder to new home as stress free as possible.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

20-06-2005, 12:05 AM
I totally agree with Becs, Mini, and CC - this is not the type of breeder from whom you should even contemplate purchasing a puppy. A good breeder will 'hold' a pup if necessary, and would certainly take back any dog that they have been responsible for producing at any point during its lifetime, no matter what the circumstances.
SB
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

20-06-2005, 12:15 AM
*Duplicate post*
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2005, 07:58 AM
I totally agree with everyone else, any breeder who isnt interested in taking a puppy they have breed back is to be avoided, and as for the hol, well if the breeder isnt prepared to hold on for a week well he/she isnt interested in the welfare of their puppies just the £££
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Sorry........... but got to agree with all of the above.......

this breeder does not seem to care one way or the other about this puppy,
so how much thought and care has she/he put into breeding these pups?
As hard as it will be, i would walk away from this one........ and find another responsible breeder.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »