Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2013, 03:23 PM

No more cancer but possible kidney disease present

It has been just over 6 months since Roxy's surgery to remove a second Mast Cell tumour, so she had her 6 monthly check up and restage yesterday at the Glasgow Vet Scool.

I discussed the tests at length with the vet and opted for an abdominal untrasound and blood work. Usually x-rays are taken again but given that she is well in herself and the fact that, interally, mast cells usually cause problems, should they want to, in the spleen, stomach, abdomen etc I opted out of the xrays just now (she had them 6 months ago anyway and all was well).

The ulstrasound showed that everything there was perfectly normal. He was very happy with her condition and the fact that there was no tumour regrowth present on either wound site (first op being 18 months ago).

He phoned me today with the blood results and some have come back normal, some not so good. The first part where they look at platelets, white and red blood count etc was all fine, no problems or cancer present but the second part, where they look at kidney results etc showed abnormalities in two of the kidney readings - they are slightly higher than they should be, even though they were fine in February. He said that she may be in the early stages of kidney disease. One of them was 10.8 (or something like that) where the normal limit would be 8.5, I think he said. Don't ask me which or what he meant - he told me quite a lot of info in a Spanish accent, so was hard to take in!

I've to take in two urine sample from to our own vet for them to look at, so I'll do that when we get back from holiday. Whilst not extremely urgent, they would like them as soon as possible as if it is this, then she can get started on meds to try and delay any problems this might cause.

Great, possibly more medication for a dog who DETESTS taking her meds!

I know she's getting older now (12) but still, after all she's been through and to think she's now fighting fit again, something else crops up! How depressing!

Any advice regaring diets would be much appreciated!
Thanks.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I know she's getting older now (12) but still, after all she's been through and to think she's now fighting fit again, something else crops up! How depressing!
Oh Nicola, I agree it must be like a smack on the face, but maybe it will be containable with medication and not effect her lifestyle. She's very lucky to have such a caring 'Mum' to look after her, wishing you all the best on this one.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Great to hear there's been no re- growth
This latest news must be very worrying for you but given that the reading showed slight abnormalities,chances are its been caught in time and can be controlled.Is it possible that her present medication maybe responsible for the results being slightly higher than normal?
Fingers crossed for you both xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2013, 06:15 PM
I am so pleased that there has been no regrowth of Roxy's tumours, but sorry to hear that there is now a possibility of kidney problems.

Everything is crossed here that your fears are unfounded, and that the "slight abnormalities" are so slight as to not cause any real problems.

(((hugs))) xx
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2013, 08:46 PM
So pleased to hear that there has been no regrowth of Roxy's tumour. What a blow it must be to you to hear that she may have kidney problems though. I do hope that when the urine tests are done the results are good and that the slightly raised levels in her blood tests are not as worrying as they might be.
Big hugs to you both - you have been through such a lot and you deserve some good news xx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2013, 01:21 AM
Glad to,hear no re growth

The good news is on a kidney diet such as K/D she can be kept stabilised for a long time. The only meds that Katie is on is a phosphate binder with her K/D. The dry K/D she won't tolerate, so she gets the wet food. There are four stages and she is in stage 3. Most vets opt for the diet management & certainly in Katies case it is working as her results had come down the last time. Still too high but reduced which was good for her.

Your vet may just continue to monitor for a while to see how she does with repeat bloods in three to six months time x
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-08-2013, 01:57 AM
I'm glad the tumor was dealt with successfully but sorry to hear about the possible kidney problems. Many dogs live just fine with kidney disease as long as it is managed properly and to me, it seems like you are right on top of things and caught it early on. Dogs can surprisingly live with only a fraction of kidney functions. You are a great dog mom, and sending all the best.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2013, 07:18 AM
What a mix of emotions for you - great news about the results 6 months post op. Try not to be too down about the kidney results being up. I was told by my vet that most dogs get a higher reading regarding kidney function when they get older as things just start to wear out. My last little dog was diagnosed with Kidney disease when she was ten and half and I had her until she was 15 and she lived a completely normal life but just a change in diet.

Good luck and (((hugs))) to you and Roxy.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

24-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Aw Nicola I hope it isn't kidney disease! What about trying Milk Thiste capsules for her? I give Loki one each morning after her morning meds to counteract any liver damage. Just a thought.

I sincerely hope Roxy will be all AOK and no kidney disease.

Hugs to you. You are such a good a caring mummy to both Roxy and Molly xx
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 12:40 PM
glad to hear there has been no re-growth, sorry to hear re the kidney issue. I can't advise re diet etc but just wanted to send you hugs. xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >