Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2005, 09:47 PM

how do thay know

how do the dogs know that your comeing up the road when i pull up in the car thay start barking loads of cars come down my street so how do thay know that my car is mine i shut the front room door so thay can not see out the window :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
or when you walk up the street thay bark when your about five or six doors away
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:50 PM
my boys know when im coming up the road cos of the mouse noise in my landy
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:51 PM
cos they can tell the time,,of course LOL
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2005, 10:16 PM
When my mum popped round mine to see Abe my old Rottie last year,she told me that at 4.30pm-he layed down by the front door and i walked through 10 minutes later.

It took me a few days to work out how-my boiler fires up at 4.30pm and he must have learnt i come home shortly afterwards.

He couldnt sense me walking down drive and unlocking house (not using car) though because a few occasions,i had to yell "No Abe-its me!" as he came running down hallway snarling thinking i was a burglar!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Steve

He couldnt sense me walking down drive and unlocking house (not using car) though because a few occasions,i had to yell "No Abe-its me!" as he came running down hallway snarling thinking i was a burglar!
I had something like that yesterday, I come home early one day a week now and it's fairly new to our routine, we've recently had a side door put in that the dogs can see through, they were waiting by the front door but the golden could see a bit of movement and came and jumped up at the door when I had my head turned with hood of coat on as I was looking in my handbag for my keys, it was as I turned back with my keys Jack threw himself at the door looking like a possessed dog, eyes wide open and teeth showing snarling he was horrible ! I jumped back and yelled 'It's me !' The angry look disappeared and the angelic teddy bear look he's known for appeared. How that could change so fast shocked me. I know he'll guard the house though !
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:29 PM
When I was in school mt best friends dog Sarah, was absolutely amazing at this. She would sit at the front door and bark 10 mins befor eher mum came home, even if she was early, late, only gone shopping, she just knew!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-12-2005, 02:58 AM
There is an interesting book on this subject by Rupert Sheldrake: Dogs that know when their owners are coming home and other unexplained powers of animals. Published by Arrow Books, 1999.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Brandie's quite useless at this! Sometimes she'll still be shouting that there's an intruder once I've opened the door. Other times she'll still be asleep on her bed and won't even have noticed my arrival i'm so loved

My neighbours dog is great though. When I was looking after her, she could tell when we were on a walk that a member of her family had come to visit! She dragged me home straight away!

It's very strange!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2005, 11:27 AM
My very first stafford Lara was amazing at this. Hubby worked for a garage and his shift would alternate. One week he'd be home about 5:10 nad the following week he'd be home about 6:10. She would go and sit by the front door at exactly 5 or 6 depending on that particular week's shift
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Apparently Harvey did this the other evening round at mums. 5 minutes before I walked in he went out into the hall and appeared to be sat waiting. I remember reading the Born Free books and the same used to happen with Elsa the lion she used to suddenly sense when Joy was coming home.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >