register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is the ban useful?
Yes, it prevents any more cruelty 5 15.63%
No, it does nothing 27 84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Kim
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2005, 11:57 PM

what's the point of a ban?!

Ok, I was just browsing through some of the old threads and found one about a poor rottweiller that had been heavily chained up by it's owner. Despite the owner claiming it was for the dog's own good, I think it's unspeakably cruel to chain up the dog's legs and mouth.

The punishment? a ban from keeping pets. I was reading the Sun newspaper [don't usually, an article about some dog called "Spot" caught my attention] and it was on about ppl that are really cruel to animals. Apparantly "justice" for hanging a puppy by it's collar and lead is to have a ban from keeping any pets for a period of time.

....But what pet store actually ever checks if someone has a ban? Even if they checked, the guy/girl could simply say 'no' and there wouldn't be anything else that could be done. I was thinking at one point of possibly going into breeding, but I was so worried I'd sell a pup to someone that had previously tortured an animal.

What is the point in a ban, really? I don't think that it actually does anything and there isn't anything to stop them from getting another pet and brutally harming it. I personally feel that the person who hung a puppy by it's collar and lead in a park should get the same treatment as someone who would hang a child.

Am I wrong? Is the ban useful? Does it actually do anything?

Would love to hear your opinions, whether you agree with me or not. I try to keep open minded and if you disagree with me I would like to hear your point of view.

Thanks,
Kim.
Yorkie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2005, 12:17 AM
No I think you are right! Thats not a punishment!! Also like you say who ever checks to see if you have got a ban or not? When I bought my yorkie the woman was very particular and wanted to meet me first etc but anyone can put on a front for 10mins!! People who harm animals should be treated as criminals! Some people would say they're only dogs blah blah but my little dogs are like children to me and if anyone hurt them I'd want them punished properly not just imposed with a useless ban! Grrr makes my blood boil at the thought!

Rant over
Kim
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm soooo glad you agree!

I just don't understand why the case is suddenly not important if the victim is a dog/cat etc. There was even a case of a guy who sawed off his dog's leg as "he couldn't afford to take him to the vet"! I really don't see the purpose of the ban.

If I was aksed to PROVE I hadn't been banned.... I couldn't. It isn't exactly like I get a certificate through the door each year telling me what a wonderful owner I am! Would anone else be able to PROVE that they hadn't been taken to court?

I think the punsihment should be far, far more harsh.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Bans are pointless, they apply to the offender, anyone else living in the same property can own a pet, so whats the point?
Dawn.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 11:45 AM
here here i agree totally...who keeps records of bans anyway? All for imprisonment and torture to the perpertrators!!!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 03:27 PM
I agree too, it is always so frustrating when someone just gets a ban
Especially a short one because even if someone did stick to the ban it doesn't mean anything after that time. They can then legally own a pet and be just as cruel again.
Cruelty to animals should be dealt with more seriously with time in prison. Do we really want people walking the streets that are capable of hanging a dog
rrkimba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2005, 03:49 PM
i completely agree with you also. i dont see why the murder of a dog is any different to a murder of a child, as they are both innocent victims, so why shouldent the punnishment be the same!!! :smt010
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Yes totally agree - a ban isn't worth it. Some of the people getting banned might not have animals anyway - they just steal and kill someone elses If they can't be wiped off the face of the earth (which I am all for but apparently they are victims too ) then put them in the Army for a minimum of 40 years that should teach them
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Whats the point of a ban when all the person has to do is move to a different area and buy another animal where others wont know their history.

Heavy fine + custodial sentence may make them think twice...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Totally pointless giving these people a ban, nobody checks up on them, none of the neighbours know they have been banned, as Steve said, they just move on somewhere else and get another animal to torture. Utterly pointlett imo, so I voted that.