Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
arthursobaka
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2016, 01:50 AM

Dog shed for separation anxiety

Hey there! I have a dog with severe separation anxiety. I believe I discovered a solution. I welcome your comments. My dog cannot be left unsupervised in the house. He has damaged venetian blinds, bitten through standard plastic crates, dug out under a metal wire kennel, bit through metal wire when the hole in the ground was fixed. A dog trainer recommended to me to get a heavy duty metal crate, basically 100% aluminum with air holes. (He is not aggressive but is very protective of me) These military style canine crates are rather expensive and small, kind of like putting your dog in a solitary confinement jail cell for the 8 to 10 hours that I am away at work. Suddenly I had a brainstorm. I have a large garage. I could bring in an all metal shed into the garage, take off the top for air. The dog would have roughly 30 to 80 square feet but there is nothing to bite or claw at. I would open a door to let him in and out. A regular garden shed but all metal. Comments? Thank you!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2016, 08:51 AM
I always thought metal garden sheds were flimsy tbh but if you have the space for one in your garage why not get a proper dog pen. I bought one for my elderly cat so he could sit out the garden in peace. It's fully galvanised, comes in panels that bolt together and is strong and you can have bars or mesh infill panels. You can put a comfortable bed in there, he'd be able to move around and be safe, more expensive than a flimsy garden shed but will do the job properly.
This is obviously a uk company but gives you an idea what I'm talking about.
http://www.dogkennelpanels.co.uk/
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2016, 01:17 PM
I don't think you have discovered a solution to your dog's separation anxiety. You have discovered a solution to prevent your dog from destroying things when you're not there. So mentally, your dog is not going to feel any happier, probably will feel worse, because when he was destroying things, he was able to relieve some of the negative emotions, which he now won't be able to.

He will probably try, might rip his claws or teeth in the process.

Working with a behaviourist on the separation anxiety should be a better option, if it is, in deed, separation anxiety. Some dogs get bored when left on their own and find their own entertainment - by destroying items around them.

Hope you will find the true solution to your dog's problems soon.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2016, 08:36 PM
I cannot understand why if you work 8-10 hours you have a dog. I think you expect too much. In effect what you are expecting is for your dog to be happy in solitary confinement for the hours you work and IMO that is not acceptable. A metal shed in the garage is not a solution. My advice would be to re-home the dog to someone who can give it more company.