Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Poodle Puppet
New Member!
Female 

19-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Taste Of The Wild

Hi there I'm new to this forum, and am looking to find out about this dog food. All four of my pets are on this food and seam to be doing very well but my two Heelers don't eat alot of it and sometimes refuse it. Not sure whats going on. They both eat about 2-3 cups a day and they are around 40 pounds each. I looked up some reviews and it got me worried. Is this food hurting my dogs? Eat seamed like such a high quality food!
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Not had any personal experience, but here is a pretty detailed (impartial) review:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...-dog-food-dry/

I'm not keen on dry ( or any commercial) foods, which is why I'm an advocate for feeding raw wherever possible.
Especially with recent scares around poisons found in reputable dog foods etc.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Taste of the wild, though in the bag is a decent product, is a Diamond brand product. Diamond is known for poor quality control and many recalls and bad bags. If you get lucky enough to avoid any bad batches, then TOTW should be a solid food to feed. It's up to you whether the gamble is worth it, though.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2015, 08:04 PM
The tinned stuff tastes nice #justsayin #notthepacificonethough
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2015, 08:09 PM
I keep looking at this as I like to switch brands and my dogs can handle this. But the wet and dry both contain salt which puts me off.
BrendaMarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2015, 03:16 PM
In my opinion it's a good food and I'm going to switch to it because the cost is right for the quality... it depends on how active your dog's are on how much they eat, and if they're not loosing weight then they're most likely fine my Border Collie Mix goes off food sometimes and it's usually after a week of being lazy, she won't over eat like a lot of dogs.

As for the questionable quality of brand, I feel like all dry bagged dog food runs the same risk in that area. It's all a gamble because you don't know unless you make if yourself, or are present every time a bag of food is made. It's just like us eating boxed and canned meals from the store.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2015, 03:39 PM
I always thought it was a bit expensive and excessive to feed bison, wild boar and the other meats this food contains, and I never tried it. Just looked at a few of their products now and it doesn't seem as good as I remember. I always think of the more meat the better. Just looked at their wild boar for example, first 5 ingredients are Beef, peas, garbanzo beans, lamb meal, canola oil.

I fed my dog raw, but as he got older and ill he didn't eat as much and was losing a lot of weight so I put him on AATU 80/20 duck. There are other similar brands out there that do and 80/20 dry foods but he couldn't have them because of allergies. He did really well on it and almost always wanted to eat it, even if he refused cooked turkey.
BrendaMarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2015, 03:48 PM
I was under the assumption that they did the different protein sources because of possible allergies.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2015, 04:20 PM
That would be great wouldn't it, if you had a dog that couldn't have normal available proteins you could feed a bison meat diet, but no. At least not with this company. Their 'wild' meat varieties also include a lot of typical meats, lamb, chicken and beef.
They do a fish version that contains a range of fish and no other meats, so that would be okay. But there are quite a few fish only diets out there. They also do what seems to be a lamb and potato food, but again so do a lot of others, neither of these can be classed (IMO at least) as special or rare diets.
Myrsky<3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Thats interesting, I was also wondering if I should change to this food brand, because some people recommend it. But Bison did sound a bit weird or lets say unusual to me.But I don't know for what reason? Is it better Quality meat?? In my country I can find this Brand only in a certain online shop..But I will still check other brands/food out,..do you know about "acana" ??
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >