Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2014, 07:15 AM

Keeping it simple

I am ready to make the full change to raw. I have been gradually introducing raw meat and we're now up to the full amount, and she's been having wing tips under supervision with no problems. I have bought the blocks of meat from naturesmenu and natural instinct to start with. Pippa's weigh calculation says she should have 92 - 138kg so I'm going with 100g so it's really easy to split the blocks and giving her a wing tip a day or equivalent. I also bought the bag of fruit&veg blocks and as she is only tiny I think I'd mix in one of these every couple days.

I know there's lots of percentages and calculations to follow on various BARF or prey models. If possible I'd rather do it by practice and just good sense but would like to know if I'm roughly doing ok? Should she have extra oil of some sort? Should she sometimes be having tripe? I've seen free flowing tripe bags which would be good as then I can just get out and defrost her small amount.

Are there any other small bones that people would recommend? The wing tips are great as a daily thing I think but also would like to give her something slightly bigger on occasion to really have fun with.

Pippa has cooked chicken/dried meat as treats on walks or when we are training as we do obedience. I have factored this in aswell when deciding on her 100g meat per day but will keep an eye on her weight and adjust if necessary.

I know you can buy your own meat and do your own veg mixes etc but for now I want to use the ready done stuff until I'm more familiar.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Keeping it simple, unless your dog/s is/are over or under weight [my raw fed dog is currently overweight but that is due to her condition and medication which makes he permanently hungry even she is not] weights, percentages etc are not written in stone. It is what your dog/s accept and what keeps them healthy and happy that matters.

This is the thread that taught me everything about raw feeding.

A rough BARF guide

I cannot follow it 100% as I am unable to source many thing, but I still refer to Tarimoor.s wonderful post again and again. I give Pereg extra supplements and vitamins but that is not because she is raw fed, it is due to her epilepsy.

If you can source "proper" raw meat for your girl then you will quickly learn how much and what percentages suit her.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-09-2014, 08:23 AM
My two dogs favourite "bone" is a raw chicken's foot. They're lovely and crunchy and very nutritious and take quite some time for a small dog to eat. Over here we can always buy them from the supermarket, but I think in the UK you might have to order them on line.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Ahh - chicken feet. I used to be able to get as many as I wanted free from one of the poultry stores down town - they were brilliant for adding to soup.

But that was before Pereg and raw feeding, and now due to some stupid law they are no longer available, even from the out of town slaughter houses.

SIGH - Pereg would love them...