Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2014, 11:44 PM

Dog ate cooked bones...

Okay so this is what happened. I let the dogs out of my room to head downstairs for dinner (my dinner). Apparently the cats had fished out the chicken bones from my brothers food off the top of the can.

I have told my brother a thousand times to empty the can and not just top it off with bones and garbage that cats will snatch out. It's always filled and emptied at the end of each day, but it tends to fill very quickly.

YES, it was too full but it was WAY inside the kitchen and dogs don't go in there. Cats cannot break the bones so no danger there. They just nibble the meat left on them.

They had taken the bones out into the living room where the dogs immediately went for them. They both grabbed a bone or so.

Brother and I split up to try and get the bones from them. Jade jetted off with hers downstairs to her crate and proceeded to crunch it up to eat it.

She ate a bit of it... but my brother was able to get most of it. She will be fine, she's gotten hope to cooked bones by accident before, never ate much... always was fine.

Nigredo swallowed an entire cooked chicken wing drumette bone whole as I went to him to try and get it. HE is who I am most worried about. He seems fine but it has only been about 5 minutes since he swallowed it.

I'm really worried. Should I just wait and see what happens? Or what? It's 7:45 p.m. and all normal vets are closed. He seems fine but IDK.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2014, 02:24 AM
Totally forgot the time zone differences and that nobody is here at this time of night....

Would have posted elsewhere, but he seems to be fine apart from some vicious gas, so I guess he's all right.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Dogs ate cooked bones for decades in my recall - before it was made widely known that they could be dangerous. Just like choklit and a whole lot of other stuff that you 'think' might kill your dog. I wouldn't worry at all. Especially not a little wing bone.

ALL scavenging street dogs eat cooked bones coz that's all that's left of the meat when the trash gets chucked out at the back of restaurants and tavernas. In a lot of places, staff chuck fish and meat bones down for the cats so the cats will hang about at the back and deal with vermin. Of course the dogs find them too!

I remember when I first read that you shouldn't use rubber balls to play with your dog because they'd killed dogs by getting stuck in their throats. There are big warnings about chucking STICKS for dogs with horrible graphics of sticks piercing their gullets.

Yet I see people still throwing sticks for their dogs every day.

There are dangers in everything all around us not just for our dogs but for us too. We all know which foods are bad for us but most still eat them. We all know cigs cause cancer but still lots of people smoke. And the perils of alcohol but it hasn't stopped people drinking.

Our old dog used to get the Sunday Roast bone as a treat every week. Long before warnings about cooked bones were issued.

The only thing Bella has ever 'choked' on was a piece of one of those rawhide bones knotted at each end and which are DESIGNED for dogs. I hooked it out but won't give her those again.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Hopefully, if he swallowed it whole, he should be okay. I think it's when they crunch them up and they splinter that you need to worry. Keep fingers crossed all you get is the gas!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2014, 12:12 PM
One of my pups once ate a whole cooked Turkey Carcass my neighbour put out for the birds, we didn't even know he had got out of the gate until he couldn't get back in as he was sooo round from all the food Apart from serious wind and a runny bum he was fine.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2014, 12:14 PM
He'll be fine ... I deliberately used to feed cooked bones to all my dogs over the decades, until I learned differently, and not one ever ever ever came to any harm over it.

Just keep a close eye and I am sure all will be fine.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone. He had WICKED GAS all night long, Jade was fine. He had potty this morning and no runs or anything, so it went through just fine. We shall be more careful now. Cooked bones are a no-no.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Must be because dogs these days aren't 'used to them' I don't recall them having any ill effect back in the dark ages when everyone used to give their dogs the leftover bones. In fact I recall people asking the butcher for bones for the dog and they boiled them up!

In the days when butchers used to readily hand over ribs and all sorts of stuff that is now sold as fancy cuts for humans!

And when they sold cooked pigs trotters in the same window as the raw meat (and pease pudding!) In fact down in Bath one little butcher still does.

I look at them now and heave. But used to eat the disgusting jellified things when I was a kid and eat the pease pud cold out of the 'chip bag' it came in!

I'm sure some dogs have suffered internal injuries from eating cooked bones. But also sure the vast majority would come to no harm at all from eating the occasional one.

I used to give my Cavvy the lamb leg bone with quite a bit of meat left on it and keep an eye on her to make sure she didn't get right down to the bone and eat that too. But a couple of times she'd made a good start on it before I remembered. And she had hardly any teeth by then!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Having read through the thread, I am relieved to see that there seems to be no ill effects (apart from the wind problem!) - it IS a worry when this sort of thing happens, because for every dog that has absolutely no trouble, there will be another one that gives a crunch on a cooked bone and ends up with a punctured something or other inside.

I know that feral dogs have always foraged for, and eaten, cooked bones........but they are feral, so how do we know that they did not suffer dreadfully for their actions? The same thing could apply to dogs from previous centuries I suppose - they died, but nobody worried about what from!!

Slightly off topic for which I apologise............Tang - we were only talking about pease pudding the other night, and whether it was best hot or cold or nine days old!!!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Agree, Tang. My parents gave cooked bones to our dogs growing up and they did fine from the best that I gather. I guess these "new" dogs are just softies!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >