Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2014, 10:12 PM

Fluids when being spayed

I went to see my vet today to ask about Rosie being spayed. She printed me of a estimate and began to explain each price anyway she then got to the part of 'fluid routine' and told me it was optional?? I assumed that during an op fluids are part if it, I know Rosie isn't a human but I would have assumed it's the same thing, we automatically get fluids, so why is it just optional for a dog? Does anyone know?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2014, 10:25 PM
I may be wrong, but usually intravenous fluids are not given unless there is a need for them post surgery - in which case being charged extra doesn't seem fair! However, there is reason to believe that giving fluids routinely can help the recovery to go more smoothly and this is probably what they are asking you if you want to pay for.

It's all so different now to when I was an animal nurse
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2014, 10:37 PM
I said to them, that if she needs them to have them and I'd pay, but I sort of feel rotten by saying if not necessary not give them, the fluids are an extra £65
Obviously if she needs them she can have them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2014, 07:26 AM
I seem to remember I was told about this when I took Zena in, and I'm sure she said these were extra painkillers at the time? Why on earth would they think that anyone would NOT want these, enough to include it as an additional extra? They ought to include it in the whole price for everyone, and then those that don't actually need these fluids, they make their profit on perhaps? Very odd isn't it. Hope all goes well for Rosie when she's speyed.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Thanks Helena, should be be march/April time. I'm thinking Easter holidays because I will be at home more then as the childminders I work at in the day don't work then. I don't understand it either, I think it should be one price too.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
I went to see my vet today to ask about Rosie being spayed. She printed me of a estimate and began to explain each price anyway she then got to the part of 'fluid routine' and told me it was optional?? I assumed that during an op fluids are part if it, I know Rosie isn't a human but I would have assumed it's the same thing, we automatically get fluids, so why is it just optional for a dog? Does anyone know?
I do not understand why things are listed out and priced individually. My vet has a fixed price for spaying and as for fluids he automatically puts an IV for fluids when a dog needs any form of surgery - even for basic dental cleaning.

The only extra I had to pay was for a cone in case Pereg needed one - she did, the little Booga!
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Libby chi was spayed last year when she was about 18months.
It was a fixed price and fluids wasnt mentioned .

Alison