Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 01:06 AM

I have the dentist on Tuesday :(

And this makes me sad

I have a massive dislike about going to the dentist.
I have weak teeth apparently.
I have a posh electric toothbrush, use the recommended toothpaste and mouthwash, use the interdental brushes, etc etc, and I need some sort of new filling nearly every time I go for a check up... it's ridiculous.

So now I hate even going for a check up, which used to be the bit I was okay with...

It was about 2-3 years since I last went to the dentist, but that was about 6 months ago now, and I am trying to be brave and go every 6 months as I know it's better for me.... not that it feels like it just now! I just feel sick...

And if that wasn't enough... I have a wisdom tooth coming through. So far it's fine and just growing in uber slowly etc, no pain, but what if I need it out

Also FYI... if you are scared of the dentist, don't google about wisdom teeth

Doubt I will sleep well tonight
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 12:28 PM
There is nothing I haven't had done in the dentist chair ... all four wisdom teeth out, numerous crowns, fillings etc and I too work myself up into a complete panic before I go. However, I can honestly say hand-on-heart that it is NEVER as bad as I think its going to be and feeling of euphoria when the work has been done and you can forget about it for a while is wonderful. I know so many people who are terrified of going to the dentist and everyone of them say the thought of going is far far worse than actually being there.

Even if your wisdom teeth needed to be removed most are now done in hospital. Don't even think about those as they may well straighten up and never need anything doing to them.

When I'm sitting in the dentist chair I actually tell myself (not audibly) to get a grip ... it's only the dentist and you are not about to have major surgery You'll be fine ((hugs)).
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Totally understand your phobia,although I don't have it myself Sorry if this sounds brutal but I would try to look at at this way;
At the same time you'll be having your dental treatment,there will be others in hospitals all over the world having life threatening operations,organ transplants,surgery to remove cancer etc.Adults and children having to endure immense amount of pain during their illness and recovery.There are far worse things than looking after your dental health and thousands of people who wish their teeth were their only problem
That is really harsh I know,when I really should be saying there there...but sometimes phobia's are helped from seeing it from a different angle.I know it probably feels like the worst situation for you right now,but seriously it isn't
Really hope you can take this in the way it was meant and not offensively.
You can do this
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Kammi try not to dwell on your visit if you can. When you find yourself thinking about it try to occupy your mind with something else.

Like Jenny I have had numerous things done to my teeth over the years . I think every tooth I have is filled and I have had root fillings and 6 capped.

Nowadays I don't let myself thing about the dentist until the day of my appointment.

I can remember when you were going last time, you managed that didn't you. I am sure you will be fine this time .
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Think my last post was a bit scarey
Imagine if you had toothache all over Christmas and you couldn't get an appointment
This way any work you need will be done and you'll have a gorgeous smile for the holiday pics!!
Missed my calling,should have been a councillor
Meg
Supervisor

09-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Think my last post was a bit scarey
Imagine if you had toothache all over Christmas and you couldn't get an appointment
This way any work you need will be done and you'll have a gorgeous smile for the holiday pics!!
Missed my calling,should have been a councillor
...funny you should say that Eileen I am convinced my teeth wait for a bank holiday to play up.
The very mention of the 'h' word caps drop off and fillings crumble so much so I won't eat anything hard at these times
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
...funny you should say that Eileen I am convinced my teeth wait for a bank holiday to play up.
The very mention of the 'h' word caps drop off and fillings crumble so much so I won't eat anything hard at these times
Meg,Boots and other leading chemists sell temporary fillings for around £6 Recommended by dentists in case of an emergency.Always make sure I have one at home just in case,they really are brilliant
Meg
Supervisor

09-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Meg,Boots and other leading chemists sell temporary fillings for around £6 Recommended by dentists in case of an emergency.Always make sure I have one at home just in case,they really are brilliant
....Eileen I discover the temporary ones (which replaced the old gutta-percha we always had in the house when I was a child) I didn't get on too well with them when filling the large hole left when a capped tooth fell out .
What I used in the end was dental chewing gum, it filled the hole in my gum but was still easy to get out
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
....Eileen I discover the temporary ones (which replaced the old gutta-percha we always had in the house when I was a child) I didn't get on too well with them when filling the large hole left when a capped tooth fell out .
What I used in the end was dental chewing gum, it filled the hole in my gum but was still easy to get out
result think you'd try anything really,nothing worse when it starts
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks all.
Got my checkup and was told all was clear... so happy...

Get a phonecall about 30 mins later saying he had looked at the xrays (he wanted to do them as I have a wisdom tooth growing in which thankfully is fine) but has said one of my fillings has leaked? Whatever that means!

So I need to and get a new filling. Not quite so happy!

I was going to put it off until the new year as I have very few spare days off before then and he said that that was totally fine... but I decided to be brave and phone straight away in case they could fit me in soon....

I go on Friday morning

Hopefully it will all be sorted then and I won't need anything else done ever!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >