Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazzyhoney
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2013, 10:34 AM

Sbt x grabbing on to other dogs cheeks lips and head :-(

Hi all would just like a little bit of advice. Honey is nearly a year. She is sociable and loves other dogs. She plays lovely normally. But I went with a friend who I've met quite a few times with an English bull dog and normally no trouble. But we met the other day and honey was grabbing on her head she didn't mark or anything but it got to the point I had to take her off and away from the situation. I'm wondering whether it was her showing off or something, only my children were with me this time and so was my friends two. Also it was very misty on the downs and lily was in season too. Please help.
Yesterday she was good playing with a 6 month old SBT at the dog show and then went for the puppy's cheek lip and held on to it. There were no marks and neither of the dogs squealed or barked or anything. Honey wasn't growling or anything. My eldest stood in the ring standing beside another very small dog who had a toy whether this wound her up I'm not sure. The little dog was constantly yapping. Normally in the ring you use treats to calm and encourage the dogs or so I thought. Maybe I'm wrong. Please help. I don't want this behaviour to carry on I want to nip it in the bud ASAP. Thank you
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Kazzyhoney View Post
Hi all would just like a little bit of advice. Honey is nearly a year. She is sociable and loves other dogs. She plays lovely normally. But I went with a friend who I've met quite a few times with an English bull dog and normally no trouble. But we met the other day and honey was grabbing on her head she didn't mark or anything but it got to the point I had to take her off and away from the situation. I'm wondering whether it was her showing off or something, only my children were with me this time and so was my friends two. Also it was very misty on the downs and lily was in season too. Please help.
Yesterday she was good playing with a 6 month old SBT at the dog show and then went for the puppy's cheek lip and held on to it. There were no marks and neither of the dogs squealed or barked or anything. Honey wasn't growling or anything. My eldest stood in the ring standing beside another very small dog who had a toy whether this wound her up I'm not sure. The little dog was constantly yapping. Normally in the ring you use treats to calm and encourage the dogs or so I thought. Maybe I'm wrong. Please help. I don't want this behaviour to carry on I want to nip it in the bud ASAP. Thank you

No she`s not showing off, she is being a bi of a bully , and its her way of exuberant play, the problem is, no other dog has told her off for her over the top behaviour, and as long as she gets away with it she will continue to play roughly.

Puppies learn what is not acceptable by adult dog, but if the adult dog is to lenient and puts up with the behaviour she is never going to learn.

Carry on as you are doing, stop this behaviour before it gets out of control.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I'd say she's playfighting and as Jackbox says they do need to learn to control it. I allow mine to play rough but only where it's acceptable such as at home or in a big open space where no one else is troubled by it. They've all been taught to stop it on command though which is the important thing.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi all would just like a little bit of advice. Honey is nearly a year. She is sociable and loves other dogs. She plays lovely normally. But I went with a friend who I've met quite a few times with an English bull dog and normally no trouble. But we met the other day and honey was grabbing on her head she didn't mark or anything but it got to the point I had to take her off and away from the situation. I'm wondering whether it was her showing off or something, only my children were with me this time and so was my friends two. Also it was very misty on the downs and lily was in season tot your dog but please o. Please help.
At her age she is a teenage hooligan and she needs to be taught how to behave, when she does this all play is to stop. Many dogs won't put up with that and will attack her if you don't stop her.

Lily should NOT be out if she is in season, I have heard many owners say they are careful until a dog gets their bitch even though she is on the lead, once adog locks on it can do a lot of damage to both dogs if the attempt to pull them apart. It is irresponsible to take out a bitch in season, I know she isn't your dog but please on to her owner.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2013, 03:15 PM
I tend to agree with the others. I think any mouthing around the head, lips or scruff should be discouraged. I have a reactive dog and whenever he lost his cool with another dog he would always go for the side of the face and scruff of the neck.

FYI - as to Honey's behaviour in the ring - my sbt X has a tendency to lunge at dogs when he's fed-up, bored, frustrated etc. It isn't a nasty aggressive lunge, but scary nevertheless, I would suggest you carefully monitor Honey for her coping skills when frustrated, bored or fed-up and have a regime of obedience training so she gets used to controlling her own behaviour. Then when she doesn't get her own way you have a bag of tricks up your sleeve to distract her.

Don't let her become like my dog!
Kazzyhoney
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Many thanks all for help and info. I did tell her to stop when she was doing it to lily and they were both put on leads.
Play does stop when she does it, so as you all have said to carry on like that I will thank you. I have just got to make sure my children know that when she starts things like I have to say the commands and no one else. She listens to me.

Baxter thank you so much. I have spoken with my eldest daughter and we are now coming to agreements on what we need to do from here on in so thank you.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi Kazzyhoney - just thinking that you might have to control the contact she has with others dogs. Mine is occasionally allowed a maximum of 30 second sniff and then I lead him away, but my one has a history of serious aggression - Honey hasn't obviously, but I would be careful to build up her contact with other dogs until she learns manners.

The problems I had with mine was because the rescue centre told me that he was very good with dogs and so I let him play with any dog - and some were simply overwhelming and played really rough with him and in a short space of time, because of my negligence I had created a very reactive and aggressive dog, so now I'm extra vigilant about who he meets and which dogs he's allowed to sniff and which ones we walk away from pronto!

It's really good that you've come on here the moment you've seen behaviour that concerns you because like you say, you can nip it in the bud quickly.

Many thanks all for help and info. I did tell her to stop when she was doing it to lily and they were both put on leads.
Play does stop when she does it, so as you all have said to carry on like that I will thank you. I have just got to make sure my children know that when she starts things like I have to say the commands and no one else. She listens to me.

Baxter thank you so much. I have spoken with my eldest daughter and we are now coming to agreements on what we need to do from here on in so thank you.
Kazzyhoney
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi Baxter thank you. I do feel that I need to limit her time so she doesnt go too far. Some dogs she will just walk past and ignore.

Today we met two akitas without any problem. She was submissive with them. It was a good meeting and I felt positive. I have some photos with them together.

I do wish my oh would think about what he says and does tho but he won't listen to me. He knows best about her ggggggrrrrrr
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2013, 05:10 PM
OHs - yes grrrrrrrrrrrr my one is the same. I have talked him out of allowing my one to have face to face contact with other dogs and he generally walks him in areas that are dog-free, so getting there, but slowly.

Good for you Kazzyhoney - you really want the best for your little girl. (not so little!)

Hi Baxter thank you. I do feel that I need to limit her time so she doesnt go too far. Some dogs she will just walk past and ignore.

Today we met two akitas without any problem. She was submissive with them. It was a good meeting and I felt positive. I have some photos with them together.

I do wish my oh would think about what he says and does tho but he won't listen to me. He knows best about her ggggggrrrrrr
Kazzyhoney
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
OHs - yes grrrrrrrrrrrr my one is the same. I have talked him out of allowing my one to have face to face contact with other dogs and he generally walks him in areas that are dog-free, so getting there, but slowly.

Good for you Kazzyhoney - you really want the best for your little girl. (not so little!)
Thanks. Mine tells everyone she just wants to play. He won't listen to the confrontation he laughs about it ggggggrrrrr I had to tell him aswell to let the dogs say hello first before he even puts his hand in. He just won't listen at all

Thank you I feel a lil better now.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >