Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2013, 09:52 AM

Desensitising my pups.

I've taken Mika (8 months) every where and exposed him to practically everything to prepare him for life so it's not so stressful. Even walk him in thunderstorms, which he loves. Living in a house with 6 children also helps as you don't know when the next crash or bang is going to happen
We had a BBQ yesterday and invited my friends from the car club who stayed all day and helped fix a car I have in my back garden. Belle (9 weeks old) uses the car as a hiding place so Mika can't get her bones etc. my friends lifted the car to fix brakes and put wheels back on, dropped it back down and turned the engine over which has been the first time in over a year. Belle was under car when this happened and she didn't bat an eye lid I must explain that this isn't a normal quiet exhaust and has been decatted and is very loud! I had to call her out from under incase she burnt herself on the exhaust.
Anyway, the evening comes and we sit in the garden drinking and chatting and my OH decides to start a small bonfire with the hot coals of the BBQ. I think great, this will prepare my pups for camping in a couple of weeks as we have bonfires every night. I was amazed that it was Mika that was worried about the fire and not Belle! She didn't give a hoot and went to sleep, Mika paced a bit then asked to go inside. Amazing. I just can't get over how laid back Belle is considering I thought nothing would affect Mika.
Belle has her last injection today and micro chipping so I'm hoping she's just as calm with that
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2013, 01:58 PM
It's great that they're so settled with all types of noisy life, I always did that with my kids and they will still sleep through anything!

Good luck today, hope she is okay at the vets.
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Yep she was brilliant at the vets. She's all micro chipped now
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
I've taken Mika (8 months) every where and exposed him to practically everything to prepare him for life so it's not so stressful. Even walk him in thunderstorms, which he loves. Living in a house with 6 children also helps as you don't know when the next crash or bang is going to happen
We had a BBQ yesterday and invited my friends from the car club who stayed all day and helped fix a car I have in my back garden. Belle (9 weeks old) uses the car as a hiding place so Mika can't get her bones etc. my friends lifted the car to fix brakes and put wheels back on, dropped it back down and turned the engine over which has been the first time in over a year. Belle was under car when this happened and she didn't bat an eye lid I must explain that this isn't a normal quiet exhaust and has been decatted and is very loud! I had to call her out from under incase she burnt herself on the exhaust.
Anyway, the evening comes and we sit in the garden drinking and chatting and my OH decides to start a small bonfire with the hot coals of the BBQ. I think great, this will prepare my pups for camping in a couple of weeks as we have bonfires every night. I was amazed that it was Mika that was worried about the fire and not Belle! She didn't give a hoot and went to sleep, Mika paced a bit then asked to go inside. Amazing. I just can't get over how laid back Belle is considering I thought nothing would affect Mika.
Belle has her last injection today and micro chipping so I'm hoping she's just as calm with that
It is all down to you remaining calm and exposing her to potentially scarey things without showing fear or consternation yourself. We used to take Hal to firework displays! He loved them! He was always brilliant with the vet as well, she never had to muzzle him, I would just hold him putting myself between him and the vet just in case.

Your attitude towards danger and unusual situations is 100% vital - especially with dogs like Mals, who are so intelligent and pick up on vibes - good and bad - so quickly.
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2013, 02:36 PM
I am normally calm with everything......except cows lol which is probably why Mika got over excited at pishobury park because I was s*****g myself. He's calmer now with them because the one I take him to are fenced. I now have all the fun with Belle too lol
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
I am normally calm with everything......except cows lol which is probably why Mika got over excited at pishobury park because I was s*****g myself. He's calmer now with them because the one I take him to are fenced. I now have all the fun with Belle too lol
Yup!! I actually made Hal become scared of fireworks because once someone lit an army thunderflash off over our conservatory and I leaped out of my skin and screamed!! Ever since then Hal was frightened of thunder and fireworks!!

I am not calm with cows or bullocks, not if I have got the boys with me, because they will ALWAYS chase dogs and you can get caught in the stampede. If this happens, I am afraid I let my dogs off the lead because they can outrun a cow or a bullock, but I can not! I avoid fields like the plague where I know there is livestock, but occasionally you get caught out and I freak, I cannot help it! I was surrounded by a herd of bullocks when I was a teenager and it was terrifying - I was very lucky indeed to escape.