Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Dog poo!

So....what do you do with yours?

Since having Remus poo I've noticed how much more poo I'm picking up! The stuff in the garden gets picked up daily and put in the black bin.

I'm wondering about one of these sunken green bins that are supposed to decomposed the poo. Has anyone got one?

I'm wondering if they work well, and if the chemicals are safe for your garden plants? I'm also wondering if I would be able to keep the children from becoming fascinated with it!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 06:19 PM
There have been a number of threads on green garden poo bins over the years on Dogsey and most of us say a big NO to it! The only people that it seems to work for are people with very small dogs or dogs that rarely poo in the garden.

We tried one years ago when we had 3 dogs and it was just awful. When we got Max, Dave wanted to try it and reasoned that they might have improved over the 20 year period when I had last tried one - so we got one. Dave set it up, followed the instructions perfectly and started filling it but it just would not break down quickly enough. The hints and tips suggested that stirring it would aid decomposition Needless to say, we never tried that. We ended up with a big solid cake of poo - covered in flies - at which point I made Dave dig it up and bin it.

We have stuck to bagging the poos now and putting in the black bin. We are on two weekly collections now but haven't really had it hot enough since they changed from weekly to cause a problem with smells. If we ever get a hot summer I may just take the bags across the park and use the poo bin there, as one of our neighbours does!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Oooo that's gross, I don't want to be stirring it! I'll stick to bagging it and binning it!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Hi Catrin I would avoid the green bins that you sink into the ground, I had one and it quickly turned into a putrid mess which had to be dug up I dread to think what it would have been like had I owned a big dog .

I put any mess in a nappy bag then in a bin, some people who have sewage pipe cover in the garden lift them and put the waste in there.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Ha, don't blame you I did actually wonder if that suggestion was for real or someone typesetting the instructions had put it in as a joke and it never got taken out. I am curious to know if anyone who has used a garden poo bin ever tried stirring it
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Catrin I would avoid the green bins that you sink into the ground, I had one and it quickly turned into a putrid mess which had to be dug up I dread to think what it would have been like had I owned a big dog .

I put any mess in a nappy bag then in a bin, some people who have sewage pipe cover in the garden lift them and put the waste in there.
Omg..how do they ever sell any!

I do have a sewage man hole thing....but oddly enough it's inside in our conservatory...don't fancy lifting that and sticking poo down there! If I had an outside loo I'd flush it straight down!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 07:15 PM
I put dog poo in the black bin but, as we only have fortnightly collection and my bin is in the car port, I have an old bin round the side of the garage and put it in there until collection day and then transfer it (holding my breath as I do!).
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Any poo done in the garden I flush away in the downstairs toilet (minus any plastic bag, of course). Poo done outside goes into a plastic bag and then straight into the black bin at home, or if I come across one when I am out a dog waste bin.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-05-2013, 08:12 PM
my neighbours just leave it around the back until the poo fairy comes and takes it away.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I put dog poo in the black bin but, as we only have fortnightly collection and my bin is in the car port, I have an old bin round the side of the garage and put it in there until collection day and then transfer it (holding my breath as I do!).
I have a steel bin in the garden that I put the little wrapped presents in then I carry them up the alley way to the bin on the front drive when it's full...it's blinking heavy!
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Any poo done in the garden I flush away in the downstairs toilet (minus any plastic bag, of course). Poo done outside goes into a plastic bag and then straight into the black bin at home, or if I come across one when I am out a dog waste bin.
That's what I'd like to do...but I'd have to carry it through the play room, kitchen, hallway, up the stairs and to the bathroom...and I'd probably be sick on the way lol.

Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
my neighbours just leave it around the back until the poo fairy comes and takes it away.
Wouldn't that be lovely if there was a poo fairy. In the winter I am a more bit lax...always hoping for a frost so it's better to pick up. In the warm weather it's so much easier! The neighbours probably think the kids are poo obsessed because they're always shouting 'mummy there's some poo here!'
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >