Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AaronG
New Member!
Male 

17-04-2013, 01:26 AM

Our Maltese is on THREE seizure meds - question about side effects

Hi, my name is Aaron and I am new to the forum. We have a three-year old male Maltese names Quincy. Long story short (sort of) he has been dealing with auto immune disease since late December. Fast forward to mid-March and Quincy was very lethargic so we took him in for an MRI, which revealed fluid build up on the right side of his brain. The neurologist put him on a higher dose of prednisone and kept him on his current PB dosage. We did that for ~1.5 weeks until he had cluster seizures, so we admitted him to the same vet on 3/28. In addition to giving him chemo treatment for the inflammation, they put him on a higher dosage of PB, added potassium bromide (K Br) and added Keppra. So he is on three anti-seizure meds right now (he has not had a seizure since 3/30). He came home on 4/1 and his PB dosage has since been reduced but remains on the same K Br and Keppra dosages.

He is still spacey, has ataxia (can walk on grass and carpet but not our wood floors), has coordination issues (among other things). He still eats and drinks and walks in the yard several times a day, although it's more pacing than walking with a purpose. Has anyone here had their dog(s) on K Br and PB and seen notable side effects? Our vet does not seem to think much of his current state is due to the seizure meds, but I have read numerous accounts of K Br, esp when taken with PB, having strong side effects to the point of people stopping K Br completely. If he remains "stable" should be ask the vet to start reducing the K Br dosage to see how much of an impact it's having on Quincy?

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback you can provide.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2013, 06:09 AM
KBr has major side effects on some dogs, ataxia being the main one.

But if your dog is being treated for an auto immune disease and an MRI showed fluid build up in his brain and he has been given chemotherapy, why is your neurologist treating him as if he is just epileptic?

Seizures due to brain damage are not seizures due to epilepsy. They are a symptom, not a cause.

Perhaps your neurologist is just treating the cause of the symptoms and not the actual cause?
AaronG
New Member!
Male 

17-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
KBr has major side effects on some dogs, ataxia being the main one.

But if your dog is being treated for an auto immune disease and an MRI showed fluid build up in his brain and he has been given chemotherapy, why is your neurologist treating him as if he is just epileptic?

Seizures due to brain damage are not seizures due to epilepsy. They are a symptom, not a cause.

Perhaps your neurologist is just treating the cause of the symptoms and not the actual cause?
Hi and thank you for the reply. I failed to mention that the inflammation is being treated with prednisone and cyclosporine right now. So we are treating the inflammation with a separate regimen of meds and the resulting seizures with another regimen. He's coming up on three weeks of being seizure free, but I am unsure how much of his condition is from the cocktail of seizure meds he is taking.

The chemo treatment was a one-time treatment (I suppose more chemo could be administered in the future) to suppress the inflammation until we could start a new medication.