Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Dog with lymphoma - ongoing diarrhoea

As you may be aware my greyhound Norman is battling T-cell lymphoma. He has had occasional diarrhoea but this past week it is continuous. He is on his steroids, we added in prokolin, metronidazole and he has been on a bland diet. There is a possibility it is the lymphoma spread to his gut, if so it will not clear up. He has lost so much weight but in himself he is still so bright and I wonder if anyone has any ideas of anything I can give him as this is getting a last resort. We are going to try sulphasalazine tablets as well, but if any one has experience of anything else that would help?
I know we do not have long as he already has exceeded the average survival time and I will not let him suffer, but I feel whilst he still seems bright and willing to fight I must try everything. Thank you
Catherine and Norman x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi Catherine , sorry to hear Norman is not doing so well.
The diarrhoea could be due to a number of things.

What are you feeding in the bland diet. While Norman has a runny tummmy I would feed boiled white rice and white fish. Coley is quite cheap and can be bought in frozen blocks from most supermarkets. You don't need a lot because you are feeding pure fish. A number of small meals are better than large meals for poorly dogs.

Mashed potato is good for diarrhoea too, mix it with cooked chicken (with the skin removed because it contains most of the fat which you don't want to feed just now ). I buy packets of chicken thighs for poorly dogs and put them flat in a roasting tin with a little water then cover tightly with foil and cook in the oven for about an hour. I then take the skin off/then the meat from the bones and add this to the juices which have come out. When cold this sets to a lovely jell.

I am going to suggest something which may help to firm things up. It is Arrowroot a pure gluten free starch quite tasteless and harmless that you mix to add to any food and a remedy we used to use years ago when there were few medications available.

You can buy it online or in health food shops.
http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/arr...Fc3HtAod_mkA2A

What you do is mix a couple of teaspoons full with a drop of cold water to make lump free paste, then add more water and boil it until it thickens to the consistency of thick custard, you can add a couple of tablespoons full to any meal.

Hugs to you and Norman xx
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Thank you for your reply. Norman has been on mashed potato and chicken but even that has gone through him. I'm now trying him with fish. The Arrowroot sounds a brilliant idea! I will have a look in our local health shop. Thank you again! I will keep you posted.

Catherine and Norman x