Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2009, 03:58 PM

Burnt Grass?!!!

I was wondering , does anyone else have this problem?, when Coco ( 8 month old female boxer) does her wee,it burns the grass, please dont tell me to go out and water it down every time she goes!! would be out all day and we have a big garden!!! I was wondering if it was something to do with her food? she is on Science Plan, which is a chicken based dry food. Some-one said I should put her on a vegetable based food?. Any advice would be gratefully recieved!! as soon I will have no grass left!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I`ve got paving slabs and plants in containers. It`s the only way to have dogs + garden!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 04:18 PM
I think its something to do with the female hormones in the urine - thats what someone told me and there is something you can put in the dogs drinking water to counteract this. Can't remember what its called so i'll try and find out for you if you like
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks, that would be great!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I've heard of something called dog rocks, that you put in their water and it stops urine burns....it's advertised in the doggy mags. Worth a try?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by wendyann View Post
I was wondering , does anyone else have this problem?, when Coco ( 8 month old female boxer) does her wee,it burns the grass, please dont tell me to go out and water it down every time she goes!! would be out all day and we have a big garden!!! I was wondering if it was something to do with her food? she is on Science Plan, which is a chicken based dry food. Some-one said I should put her on a vegetable based food?. Any advice would be gratefully recieved!! as soon I will have no grass left!!
Does not matter whether they are male of female their pee will burn the grass.. the difference is most males will cock a leg, so the damage is not as evident as when bitches do it..

Sorry , but that is exactly what I am going to tell you... the only way to manage pee marks is by watering the grass.

In the winter time it is less of a problem as we get a lot of rain... but summer time if you wish to keep your grass nice, you will have to water it (pee stains) everyday.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Actually think that might be the same stuff i was thinking of - but i've also been informed (my brother) that tomato puree or ketchup works too - it supposed to neutralise the acid which is what actually does this to the grass, maybe you could try mixing some in her food and see if that works.
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Wow Ketchup!! not sure if she would like that!!! but worth a try!! will also check out the dog rocks too

thanks for advise!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi,

Do you have ANY patio/paved area at all? You could train your dog to go to the toilet in one particular area of the patio. Or choose an area of grass that you can't see very well fromthe house or aren't too bothered about for her to go pee. Then you only have to wash down or water a small area.

All 3 of my dogs go to the toilet in an area that is about the size of a large green house and it's cleaned and rinsed down twice a day (with extra cleaning up inbetween for the poops).

No burnt grass, no strong poop/pee smell (particularly as the weather is warning up) and no stains on the patio.

It took me about 3 weeks to teach Zane initially that this was where he had to go. Then Ellie learned by me taking her out every half hour or so and watching Zane. Then Yainnis learned by watching Zane and Ellie (although he hasn't quite grasped it yet and likes to leave me "surprises"!)

Laura xx
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Oh dear!! I have 3 dogs, and I think it would be impossible to train them now! I do have patio areas, but they never wee on anything but grass!! and always near the back door so they dont have to walk too far!!! Have already had a half moon shape dug out there and filled with stones, but now they have wrecked all around that and Coco all over the place!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >