Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 09:35 AM

A Warning

There have been two deaths in Torbay in the last 24 hours from drowning.

The first was from a fisherman, doing his job in extremely dangerous stormy conditions. RIP

I do not know the circumstances surrounding the second but RIP.

What I wanted to remind folk is that however funny it looks on "You've been framed" wave dodging is extremely dangerous.
The power of the sea cannot be underestimated. It may look harmless but a wave will pull you into the sea and you have very little power to fight it.
STAY AWAY from sea walls and harbour edges in bad weather conditions.

Lecture over
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Id agree nippy! Id also like to add that even if you can afford a fancy BMW m5, it doesn't negate you from the fact that doing 100+ an weaving around the cars going at sensible speeds down the m5 at night in the heaviest rain I hav ever seen is bright. (it gave me great pleasure to drive past him a bit later after the police had stopped him!) it amazes me despite all the really wet weathe we've had in ye west country the risks people are still willing to take!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
The power of the sea cannot be underestimated. It may look harmless but a wave will pull you into the sea and you have very little power to fight it.
STAY AWAY from sea walls and harbour edges in bad weather conditions.
Lecture over
How right you are Jenny, living where you do I expect you've been brought up to respect the sea but it's amazing how many 'inlanders' do not, and think they can fool around on or near the sea. It happens every year and the equivalent scenario over here is mountain climbing. All the 'lowlanders' from the big cities think they can go out and climb a mountain at any time, and they don't realise how quickly the weather can change and how easy it is to get caught in fog and loose your way and fall thousands of feet down a rocky mountain face.

Let us hope that there are not any such incidents this year.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 11:49 AM
A good post Nippy! It is unbelievable how many people do not respect the power of water. I live on the R.Thames and it is unbelievable how many people think they can swim across ... and can't.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 02:15 PM
A good reminder for us Nippy, although sad to hear of the two deaths.
I have to say that I have a healthy wariness regarding the sea and have had since a child. I think it started after I saw the original (black and white I think) film Titanic.......then I saw The Poseidon when the boat turned over and that was it!!!
I've seen the series about fishermen and think they are so brave, I can't believe the size of the waves and the power of the sea. Makes me shudder.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
A good post Nippy! It is unbelievable how many people do not respect the power of water. I live on the R.Thames and it is unbelievable how many people think they can swim across ... and can't.
Down here the youngsters try to swim across the river Dart, usually under the influence of alcohol.
We have a saying..."the Dart claims a heart every year"..... and it usually does
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 06:55 PM
I wish you could put your warning onto every social network thingy........but whether it would make any difference is doubtful as there will always be the cocky so and sos that think it's clever to try to defy nature.

However, that poor poor fisherman and his family Absolutely tragic.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 07:16 PM
I still don't know the circumstances of the second death so I shouldn't jump to conclusions but it is still a good time to issue warnings.

In a relatively small place and a close knit community it is very sad and hits hard
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Thank you for th is; I thought of you at the shore yesterday and had no intemtion of getting out of the rocking car to admire the waves, which were colossal or of driving along the front which was littered with stones etc

Reminds me of island days when there would be huge rocks thrown across the fields as if by a giant hand
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
Id agree nippy! Id also like to add that even if you can afford a fancy BMW m5, it doesn't negate you from the fact that doing 100+ an weaving around the cars going at sensible speeds down the m5 at night in the heaviest rain I hav ever seen is bright. (it gave me great pleasure to drive past him a bit later after the police had stopped him!) it amazes me despite all the really wet weathe we've had in ye west country the risks people are still willing to take!
They call it fun, thrills, kicks

Lived on a one track mountain road once and a boy rally driver used to scream past around 9 pm every night in the dark at top speed.. Anyone out walking or coming the other way would not stand a chance. Used to shake the foundations of the house.
Dogs would turn inside out.. So did I.
The Gardai stopped him from that end of the circular road, until he tried again in the thick snow and ice when they stopped him again.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >