Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Throwthestick
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2013, 10:36 PM

"Why do you own a dog like that?!"

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone else ever get that question? I get it constantly in regards to my mastiff Kaylee. She is a Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian mastiff) and yeah they shouldn't be owned by the average person. However the question just irks me - it just seems like such a useless question. The answer is obviously "Because I wanted one?"

Okay so a lot of the traits that I adore in her ... other people wouldn't want at all. Like the endearing way she wants to eat most strangers that she meets. That seems to be an undesirable trait for most people. It was one of the things that attracted me to the breed though!

Anyone else have ...a quirky/unique dog that most people think you Bonkers to own?

Bea & Co.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 10:48 PM
My dogs are pretty standard looking haha
Most people ask me if they are jack russells or border collie mixes, then when I correct them, I always get dubious looks like I'm making things up!
One woman even said to me "oh you mean you've shaved a wire fox terrier"
Smooths arent that obscure, surely!!

I personally think Fila Brasileiros look lovely
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Over the years we had comment like I wouldn't have one like that, why would you put up with that etc. I just used to look at them and say well just as well he or she is mine then and not yours because he/she is very much loved despite the baggage they came with from the horrible homes they came from.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2013, 11:33 AM
We got that when we told people we were gonna get a boerboel. "Why would you want that" or "what do you need that for". I think it's pretty common with breeds that look like this, I know most of my friends with similar looking dogs get the same questions from their friends and family.