Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sargaz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Spaying at 6 months

People's views...

I have always been under the impression that a bitch should atleast have her first season before Spaying, but we have just taken on a rescue English Bull Terrier, who is now 11 months and was spayed at 6 months at the previous owners Vets request.
She is very tiny framed but with long legs. Just wondering if this could be due to being spayed so young as I have never seen such a tiny Bully.
Plus she is quite underweight, but we are now working on this, bless her x
Wild storm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Ive heard myths that if you spay a bitch too early it can affect their growth. Iam not entirely sure if this is true or not. But ive heard alot about letting a bitch have her first season is sometimes best. Im sure other people will know alot more than me on this tho.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Personally I would not spay or neuter a dog until they have fully matured (if at all).

I think early spaying could have an impact on growth, but it's also worth checking to see if she's a pure or cross breed.

(Maybe post some photos up?)
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2013, 11:38 PM
I have had several bitches of different breeds spayed at 6 months and it has never affected their growth, coat or anything else.

I also met a lady who has had staffies for 50 years now. She has had most of hers spayed or nuetered at 6 months as she said everyone that has been spayed at that age ended up being totally dog friendly, the ones that wern't 90% of those were not dog friendly. None of hers looked any different from the unspayed one she had with her, except the unspayed one was trying to eat my two and the others were just wanting to play.

It could just be she would have been like that anyway, she may have been the tiny one of the litter.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Our last dog, a rescue, was spayed before we brought her home and she was just under six months.

It didn't affect her growth in any way whatsoever, nor did it cause problems in that area later in her life.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-01-2013, 12:14 AM
My vet subscribes to 6 the month idea.

I grew up in the 'after first season' generation.

I'd have thought the 6 month idea has been popular for long enough now for us to have some good data ?
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
My vet subscribes to 6 the month idea.

I grew in the 'after first season' generation.

I'd have thought the 6 month idea has been popular for long enough now for us to have some good data ?
Absolutely; my family are in Canada where juvenile spaying and neutering have been practised decades. Never any bone cancer or other issues.

Just will as you rightly say, take generations for this to be accepted as with anything new. Plenty of good data; see posts here
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Star was spayed before a season at just before a year. She was taller than a boxer bitch should be and she did get bone cancer quite young.

Coincidence or not I don't know but I would never spay before a season again
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 06:54 AM
My bitches were both spayed at around 6 months with no 'after effects'.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2013, 07:22 AM
I had mine done around 8 months, still before her first season ( giant breeds come into season a bit later normally ). had it done by keyhole surgery and it was fantastic.. no change in her at all and growing the same as my previous bitches who weren't done...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >