Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyle217
New Member!
Male 

18-12-2008, 09:55 AM

Dog Walks in Cambridgeshire

Hi All,

This is my first post so i'll introduce myself. I'm Kyle and I live in Cambridgeshire with my partner and our 8 year old male GSD, Max.

We've recently moved to Cambs from Manchester and we don't really know any good walks in the area. So if anybody knows of any (Max likes woods / overgrown fields etc so he can go exploring) it would be much appreciated
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey

I don't know much about the rest of Cambridgeshire, but there are quite a few walks on the outskirts of Peterborough. Nene Park/Ferry Meadows is quite a nice country park. It is pretty popular but there are so many different paths/routes around the park, that is usually possible to have as busy or quiet a walk as you want.

http://www.nene-park-trust.org.uk/todo/ferrymeadows.asp

Hope you find some nice walks
cambkite
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Where (roughly) in Camb's
Another place near Peterborough is Holme Fen (woods) which is a great place for people and dogs, just to the south of Yaxley. Beware though, your dog will get filthy and, if he is inclined to get into the water, smelly but there is plenty for Max to explore. Near Huntingdon is Hinchingbrook Country Park which is a mix of woods, lakes and open grass. It does get a little busy at times and you will find a fair few people playing Frisbee or ball games. If you are towards the north of the county, I'll try to think of some more.

Welcome to Cambridgeshire by the way. I quite like it but it is also fairly easy to get to other parts of East anglia or the Midlands
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 02:30 PM
We like ferry meadows its a nice walk, as Hali said it gets busy though particually in summer.We park up round the back at Milton bridge,you dont see as many people that end so its quieter.
Another nice place is Rutland water,Best sheep poo for miles lol or so my beagles tell me...
My OH takes them to Southy woods too (near castor) but everytime we go there seems to be someone who has lost their dog which worries me somewhat,I'm not so keen on it there.Castor backwaters is nice too.
Steph&millie
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Hello,

Also in the Peterborough area, there is the rowing lake to walk around, which also has the river running alongside it. Plenty of tree's, grass and also the lake to go for a swim in!!

Our Millie loves it there and it doesn't get too busy around the lake either. Another bonus about this place to walk is that there is a pub called the boat house there who are really accommodating to dog walkers and always has dog bowls on hand for the dogs if you stop off for a beer or some food!

Steph
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2011, 07:13 PM
grafham water during the week - lot of bicycles at weekends, had a nice walk willingham way - going along upto the river.
guesty
New Member!
Male 

12-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi, You could also consider Crown lakes country park near farcet/yaxley just outside peterborough.
keela
New Member!
Female 

29-02-2012, 09:40 PM
After finding it difficult to find one single place for cambridgeshire/ Bedfordshire dog walks, we have decided to find out for ourselves and list them on a blog if anyone is interested? Travelling that bit further to the Northamptonshire country parks is definitly worth it. Other recent favourites include Apsley Woods and Monks Wood.
Simon352
New Member!
Male 

02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Castor and Ailsworth have two pleasant walks. One starting at Mill Lane and one on Splash Lane. At the time of writing they are both probably flooded but in the summer we walk there often.
There is a list of links to other walks at:
[link removed]