Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-12-2012, 07:57 PM

What age should i have kaya spayed?

Hello,

In your opinion is it better to have a bitch spayed before she gets her 1st season? I have been told either before her 1st or after 1

Thanks
Adam
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Talking about this on another thread and its pretty much same rule for dogs and bitches. You should wait till your dog is fully grown and physically mature. I think thats around age 2 for large breed dogs. You could have had more than one season by then, each bitch is different, phoebe was nearly 2 before she had her first.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Hello Adam I prefer to spay a bitch midway between seasons so that would be three months from the start of a season. My vet also agrees with this because there is less chance of excessive bleeding at this time when hormone activity is at a minimum .

I have a small breed which matures early and I am happy to spay at 9 months, 3 months from the start of the first season which is usually at 6 months.

For a larger breed which takes longer to mature I would wait until after the second season.

The exception to this for me is rescue dogs where the rescue organisation insists on neutering or spaying before a dog is rehomed.
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
Talking about this on another thread and its pretty much same rule for dogs and bitches. You should wait till your dog is fully grown and physically mature. I think thats around age 2 for large breed dogs. You could have had more than one season by then, each bitch is different, phoebe was nearly 2 before she had her first.
from what i have read i agree but my vet recommends 6 -7 months, could you please explain, or give me a link to some where it is explained fully why its best to wait till shes fully grown so i can bring up the issue with my vet as im worried they only recomend 6-7 months because of the overpopulation issues in the country. which wont be an issue for me as kaya wont come into close un-supervised contact with any male dogs.

i intend to have an indepth discussion with my vet before deciding and i want to be familiar with the different view points first.

Thanks
Adam
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Adamyork View Post
Hello,

In your opinion is it better to have a bitch spayed before she gets her 1st season? I have been told either before her 1st or after 1

Thanks
Adam
same as i have just put on another thread, wait until shes both physically and mentally mature, with her being a mix of large breeds id wait until 18 months 2 years.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Adamyork View Post
from what i have read i agree but my vet recommends 6 -7 months, could you please explain, or give me a link to some where it is explained fully why its best to wait till shes fully grown so i can bring up the issue with my vet as im worried they only recomend 6-7 months because of the overpopulation issues in the country. which wont be an issue for me as kaya wont come into close un-supervised contact with any male dogs.

i intend to have an indepth discussion with my vet before deciding and i want to be familiar with the different view points first.

Thanks
Adam
I dont know how to link another thread. Its in health currently title is something about nutering a puppy.

Sorry im not much help
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2012, 08:42 PM
My vet recommends spaying a bitch three months after her first season, but he will spay a bitch once she has reached a minimum of eight months if she has not had a season before then and the owner cannot guarantee to keep her away from entire dogs.
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
I dont know how to link another thread. Its in health currently title is something about nutering a puppy.

Sorry im not much help
Thanks, i found the other thread
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Read this for info on neutering:
http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-12-2012, 11:07 AM