Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2012, 11:24 PM

Throwing up? :/

Rogan has thrown up 5 times over the course of 2 days now.

Last night I heard him after I'd gone to bed at about 12.30, and this evening he has thrown up 4 times. Yesterday and the first 2 times today were brown coloured and semi-solid, and the last two times were brown liquid. Today the throw ups were within the space of half an hour.

He is fed at Arden Grange lamb and rice and half a Ceaser tin at 11am, and the same AG ration at about 7.30pm. Tonight he had his dinner at 9pm, and has spent the day hapily running around and playing with his doggy friends at my fiance's family's house. Everything has been fine at the other end of him.

He hasn't drank anything since throwing up, and I havn't offered him any food. Is there anything I can do to help/make him more comfortable, and should I try and get him into the vets tomorrow?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I'd give him water and see how tonight goes. If this is unusual and if he's still bad, I'd take him to the vet for a check up. Could he have eaten anything outside that might have upset him? Anything that could have become stuck? Or is he on any medication that might have caused this?
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Hi Lucky. Well he's played in the garden for a few hours today, but if he ate anything today it wouldn't account for the sick last night. He's not on medication, and while he's worn out and sleepy now, he's been fine in himself all day.

I'll leave him with fresh water tonight, and see how he is tomorrow.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Hi Kendal , I would take Rogan to the vets because he has been vomiting for more than 24 hours and could become dehydrated.

I would not give him any more food, he needs water but I wouldn't let him gulp too much at one time.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog, and I hope he's stopped being sick now. Check up on your worming regime, because some worms can cause dogs to vomit intermittently like this, especially as he seems fine in himself and doesn't have diarrhea. Good luck with him and please let us know how he's doing.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2012, 08:24 AM
I hope Rogan is feeling better today.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Just had a similar thing with my 9 month old pup, although he had thrown up once or twice he then started at the other end. I had run out of Arden Grange at the weekend and had to buy a bag of Harringtons salmon and rice from the supermarket, big mistake.
Took him to the vet on Friday, she examined him and said it was the change in diet that caused it, gave me 6 cans of Royal Canin chicken/rice and some probiotic paste. She told me to just feed him small amounts but often. 24 hours later he was back to normal. Amazing. Of course I had started thinking the worst, parvovirus, parasites etc. But fortunately it was just the change in diet or a bad bag of food? Who knows?
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone, Rogan was fine overnight and wasn't sick anymore, and his water bowl had gone down a little.

I'll need to get a little food into him soon, as he does get a bit queasy when he's not eaten for a while. It also occurs to me that the 2 days he was sick, I'd given him a different (same on each day) type of Ceaser tin to wet his first meal - could this have caused evening vomiting, maybe?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by fiwen30 View Post
Hi everyone, Rogan was fine overnight and wasn't sick anymore, and his water bowl had gone down a little.

I'll need to get a little food into him soon, as he does get a bit queasy when he's not eaten for a while. It also occurs to me that the 2 days he was sick, I'd given him a different (same on each day) type of Ceaser tin to wet his first meal - could this have caused evening vomiting, maybe?
Hi Kendal yes this could be the reason.
I would give Rogan a light meals for a couple of days if possible. I give boiled rice and fish or chicken just a small amount at a time then reintroduce the usual food gradually.

If you are unable to do this I would soak a small amount of the kibble just a couple of tablespoons and if that stays down give more.
If he is sick again you really should see a vet.
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks, that's really appreciated. Off to soak kibble now, and I'll pick up a bit of chicken for later. Any more signs of throw up and we'll be straight to the vets
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >