Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 04:49 PM

Should I have Jenzi spayed?

For those who don't know, I am owned by 3 GSDs - 2 dogs, 1 bitch. Zane is coming up to 5 years old at Christmas, Yiannis will be 4 years old on Wednesday next week and Jenzi will be 3 years old in the new year.

The 2 boys have been neutered but Jenzi was never spayed.

I don't have any reason for not spaying her and when she is in season, it doesn't seem to bother her like it does for some bitches. With both boys being neutered, Yiannis doesn't even attempt to go near her and if Zane tries to mount her, she has the good sense to sit down. Maybe because she wouldn't be interested or isn't ready to mate anyway or maybe because she realises he'd be far too heavy for her at 58Kg.

Anyway, Jenzi has severe HD and although I've considered having her spayed I am concerned that it will affect her hips/rear end. I am careful to ensure she never comes into contact with other dogs when she is in season so if having her spayed is a bad idea, it won't make a lot of difference to me personally.

What I have noticed over the past 12 months or so though is that there are occasions when she will have an accident on the kitchen floor. She is completely housetrained and initially I did think maybe it was because I hadn't let her out quickly enough. However, there have been a few occasions where the back door has been left open (maybe because I'm in and out to the patio for example) and she's still done it.

If it was Yiannis, I would know that it was because Zane had stopped him going outside but I know that Jenzi couldn't care less what Zane thinks and will quite happily tell him off if need be.

So now I'm wondering if this is happening because of her hips? Maybe she's lost a little sensation or it has changed in her rear end? If this is the case, I doubt that having her spayed (which thinking about it would be purely for convenience) would be such a good idea if she's already having problems in that area. Surely surgery would compound the issue and make it worse?

Anyway, the vets haven't been able to advise me because they just don't know.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar?

In a nutshell, as things are at the moment, I'm not desperate to force her into a surgery which overall won't make any difference to her lifestyle etc. Plus, she's never had anaesthetic before so there are all the associated risks with that - for example, I have no idea if she would react badly to it or if she could withstand it for the duration of the operation etc.

Right now, my thinking is that I should leave her entire, maybe consider surgery on her hips if I can afford to have it done at The Willows (which will most likely be sometime never but I could and would borrow against the house to do it) assuming it was positively suggested medically at some point.

She has no problems running about with the boys, no problems with walking, playing in the park or garden, etc. She isn't allowed upstairs at home (but then neither of the boys are) and she couldn't be involved in the obedience training for SchH although her temperament was OK because of the metre high jump and then potentially going over a 6 foot wall.

So, with that in mind, what would you do?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Leave things as they are.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 05:32 PM
You have to weigh the pros and cons.

I do not see why a spay should affect her hips? I am struggling to understand the link, if any?

the risks of pyometra rise the older a bitch gets.

The risks of operating on a bitch with either an open or closed pyometra are considerable.

HAving seen the photos of both I can see why these are a vets worst nightmare.

I spay all my bitches but not before they are 2.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 06:57 AM
The only reason I would spay is because of the risk of pyometra.. I have lost one of my bitches because of it.. on the other hand... I have had bitches in our family since I was born ( 47 years ago ) and only had 1 case of pyometra.. I had my bitch spayed at the age of 9 months but only keyhole surgery where they have taken the ovaries.. ( fantastic way of doing it )..
In your position I think I would leave things as they are but that's only my thought.. you have to do what you think is the best.
Good luck with whatever you decide..
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Having had to have an emergency op for pyometra on a 12 year old GSD I'd say spey. When I was showing & breeding I had my bitches speyed as soon as they reached 7 & I knew they were not going to have another litter. Mind you my males were not neutered so that made a difference but nevertheless it was for the risk of pyometra I did it & this is nothing new, I had a friend lose a bitch to pyometra in the 50's & another one lose 2 last year. Don't think it will cure the incontinence though as in a couple of my bitches they had problems in this area when they would have been in season.
Is she leaking or squatting to wee. If she is deliberately weeing there it could be a smell association my friend had a bitch who wee'd when she smelt fresh bleach, You had to keep her out of a bleached area for an hour or so till the smell had gone off. I myself had one male who got worked up & sprayed if he smelt antimate.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 02:35 PM
She squats as normal to pee. It's very rushed though, particularly if the back door is open, as though she's realised she has to go but isn't going to make it.

You know what I'm like for using bleach and Jeyes Fluid. I can't imagine not using them. Maybe a change to a different cleaning product for a few weeks may make a difference.
JTVN
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm struggling with the link between hips and spaying as well. Can you explain please?

I have seen pyos in bitches as young as 2 years of age so always get any female I have neutered when I feel they are mature enough.

There are risks with any surgical procedure but google closed pyometra and look at the pictures. More risk during a GA if you bitch has one of those than spaying when fit and healthy.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 07:39 PM
As others have already said, I don't see the link between hips and spaying

I would probably have her spayed anyway though, as the risk of pyo is considerable in an unspayed bitch.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't think there is a connection between hips and spaying but it was mentioned to me a couple of years ago by a locum vet whop x-rayed Jenzi when both hips fully dislocated.

I thought I'd ask if anyone else has any experience of this.

The way I see it, if she ends up a little incontinent for a time after a spay (Ellie and Jaikei both did for a short time) then that's fine. If she has an issue with er spine, sensation, nerves etc then that's a completely separate issue as far as I know.

Jenzi is very healthy in herself. She would never have been bred anyway (I'm no breeder and her hips are awful) so in one sense I may as well get it done. But I was thinking as being in season doesn't bother Jenzi, and given what I was told a couple of years ago I just thought maybe I'd be putting her through a surgery for no reason.
On the other hand, I'd rather there was little/no risk of pyometra so half the time I#m leaning towards having it done.

I have a lousy cold atm. If I've not made sense let me know and I'll have another go at explaining.