Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Internet campaigns

I am fairly new to social networking and only joined that SNG due to a few closed groups I wanted to be part of.

However I have to say that I have unfriended several people who insist on sharing with me campaigns which urge me to "like" a post because if I don't it proves I do not care.

I do not like emotional blackmail in person, let alone via the ether, and I do not understand why people equate the number of likes that are received by any particular post to prayers, good wishes, luck etc.

They appear to me to be the modern equivalent of chain letters, another ghastly device designed to heap guilt and fear onto people.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2012, 09:08 PM
They are chain letters ...
Ignore them ...
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am fairly new to social networking and only joined that SNG due to a few closed groups I wanted to be part of.

However I have to say that I have unfriended several people who insist on sharing with me campaigns which urge me to "like" a post because if I don't it proves I do not care.

I do not like emotional blackmail in person, let alone via the ether, and I do not understand why people equate the number of likes that are received by any particular post to prayers, good wishes, luck etc.

They appear to me to be the modern equivalent of chain letters, another ghastly device designed to heap guilt and fear onto people.
I hate this too. And people who pm you to put something as your status on [a social network] to show you support for breast cancer or whatever. Drives me nuts.

It used to be emails with a story and at the end saying something like send this to 5 people and your crush will tell you they love you, 10 people and you will live a happy life..ignore and you will DIE. To be fair I should be dead at least 20 times over
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Can't stand them.
If I don't like a picture of an ill baby or pet does not mean I want them to suffer and die. It's ridiculous. Normally I delete them off my news feed.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
They are chain letters ...
Ignore them ...
I do, but sometimes you get the odd one which is really shocking, as this morning it was a baby in an incubator and I feel that this could be SO upsetting to those who are particularly vulnerable or in similar situations.

I accept that is the risk you take when you "subscribe" to this, but I do still find it .............. odd for want of a better word.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Back when i was heavy in to Msn i made it clear to anyone i added that if i got a forward i would delete them ...
As dog geek said it used to be emails./
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by JulieSS View Post
Can't stand them.
If I don't like a picture of an ill baby or pet does not mean I want them to suffer and die. It's ridiculous. Normally I delete them off my news feed.
Aahh thanks, I didn't know you could do that - but how?

They are annoying, that's ALL one person ever sends me
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 10:02 PM
I have a friend who was fond of sending chain e mails to me, " send this to 10 other friends and see what happens ".....fudge all happens that's what.
Thankfully she no longer has a computer.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I too hate them, and never 'share', or 'like' them.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 11:01 PM
I have a SNG friend who did the same - at first I didn't mind.

But then they shared photographs (of their own) to all and sundry, and tagged my name on - which meant that whenever anyone commenting on the photo, I got an email message to tell me so.

It filled up my email inbox enormously - and as I usually use the internet on my phone [this old computer being slow & unreliable], & my email inbox on the phone only shows 5 headers at a time, I had to wade through twenty or so of these comment headers just to get to anything important... like emails from family.

There are settings you can use to limit this although it's rather sad to do it - when you still would like to be in touch with the person and hear their real news, if they have any.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >