Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 10:43 AM

Brownie big bodying other dogs...

So the other day I took Brownie to the park. I do this all the time, we often meet other dogs there. Brownie is pretty good with other dogs. He is never aggressive. No raised hackles, no snarling/snarking or growling. However he does usually get REALLY, REALLY excited. I really don't know why, he meets other dogs all the time and has done so all his life. He even lives with another dog, who doesn't particularly like him, but merely tolerates him. Most dogs don't mind this and they just get excited and frolic along with him, but I met a woman with a standard poodle who wasn't like this. Her dog was fine while they were just sniffing and wagging as a greeting, but then Brownie launches at the dog, playfully mind you, no aggression and she lays on the ground and bares her teeth in defense. I immediately pulled him back to my side and told her I was sorry and said sometimes he gets too excited. The woman seemed kind of mad, but just said it was okay and that "things happen". I like to meet other dogs and it makes my Brownie happy, especially in his old age but I am having a hard time getting him to relax around other large dogs. I've tried treats and everything else that usually works but he just ignores it totally. Helpful suggestions are appreciated Thanks!

This is an older clip showing you what I mean...

I had to slow it down because it was such a short clip so unfortunately the volume is gone

They had a good time and this Boxer was young and male and did just fine with Brownies jump active crap, but the Boxers owner almost fell over the leash after Brownie caused the leashes to get tangled up!

Here is a clip with a small dog

He pretty much pays no mind to tiny dogs and puppies because he lives with cats and he knows he can't bother them or hurt them.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking? Isn't he 15 now? I would say too old and too late to dramatically change his behaviour.

Also, you cannot compare the two clips, the one with the boxer you are stood still, the dogs are facing each other and jump about to play (I don't think it's helpful slowing it down as it alters how the body language can be read).
The second clip you are walking along with the small dog, they are not static and are not facing each other, a TOTALLY different scenario.

I suggest if he is very full on and likes to jump on other dogs you don't allow him to without making sure the other owners are happy for him to play.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I'm not sure what you are asking? Isn't he 15 now? I would say too old and too late to dramatically change his behaviour.

Also, you cannot compare the two clips, the one with the boxer you are stood still, the dogs are facing each other and jump about to play (I don't think it's helpful slowing it down as it alters how the body language can be read).
The second clip you are walking along with the small dog, they are not static and are not facing each other, a TOTALLY different scenario.

I suggest if he is very full on and likes to jump on other dogs you don't allow him to without making sure the other owners are happy for him to play.
I don't mean to allow him to jump on other dogs, he just kind of does it all of a sudden sometimes. He's not mean and he's never started a fight, it's all playful. Also, he didn't always jump up on other dogs. I forgot to mention that. If that was the case, I would simply not bring him around other dogs or let him play with them. Since my mothers dog, Jade has been moved indoors near him (there was a post about this I had up a while ago), he's been doing this. As I was saying, I'm not really sure why. It's been going on for some months, not all his life. Since the lady got mad and it was my fault that her dog got scared (something that has not happened before), I thought to try and do something about it. Usually, the other persons dog responds in the same way Brownie acted, and if I sense their dog is aggressive, I move along quickly. Also, you're right about the videos, I didn't think of that. He is an old dog, but he's smart and a fast learner, if only I had a method that worked. I am not a professional with dogs. Thanks for your comment. I guess maybe I'll try and warn people that he's very excitable beforehand.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Also, Collie Convert, I will post the Boxer interaction video with regular audio and speed.