Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Ripped nail off - and a 'naked' toe?!

Hi all,

Well I got home from work in Wednesday (OH had gotten home 2 minutes before me and let the boys out of their run) and Dennis came bounding at me as I walked in the door, and charged outside when I headed out there. 2 minutes later he's stood on the lawn holding his paw in the air wimpering.

His claw was hanging off and covered in blood, so a trip to the vets later (got sedated and claw removed) he's now got a little pink, naked toe! Not been too bad with it til now but OH just took Billy to training and Den went his normal loopy self at the window (in a 'please don't take my 'ickle bruvver away' kind of way) and now he's cut his toe. I've washed it and he's cleaned it and all is calm for now.

So to the question ..... How long will it take for him to grow a nail over his toe, and will he keep catching it and making it bleed til he does?

Thanks

Em (and a very sorry-for-himself Dennis) xx
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 04:22 PM
My Rott has SLO so has lost all her nails in this way and it does take a while for them to grow back but once the nails off it shouldn't cause too many problems but watch out for infection if the vet's haven't put him on antibiotics.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Wow - I've never heard of SLO before - I just googled it. Your poor baby

They gave him one antibiotic jab and then just told me to bathe it in salt water - putting a Rott's sore paw in salt water is no easy task!

I've changed vet last year to one which is managed my a friend's mum - they seem far less pushy in giving drugs which they see aren't so necessary, a rare vet I think!

Fingers crossed the salt water will do the job. Will the toe itself get a little more resistant to knocks and damage as time goes on then?

Em x
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Yes going on how Mia was after they either fell off or she caught them and they ripped off she was a lot better it was just a case of waiting for them to grow again but in her case they don't grow back the same and she has lost them again but not as bad as the first time.
Did it come off whole as in a shell?
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Like this
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 07:42 PM
This is what's left when the nail comes off. You will notice the nails either side look long this is how they go when they start to go hollow before they fall off.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Took a good few months for Ruperts nail to grow back fully after he'd had it removed. Keep a really close eye on it and if it doesn't seem to be healing or looks infected get him back to the vets, Rupert came close to losing his toe due to infection despite being on antibiotics.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Yup - came off whole - like shelling a prawn!
It was his outer one and the vet reckoned he'd just given it a whack or caught it on something in his run and we'd just maybe not noticed, with it being such a short space of time between getting home and then seeing it. His two outer nails were a bit long so he gave the other one a clip - said the others were fine but I'll def be keeping an eye on him from now.

Thanks

Em x
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
Yup - came off whole - like shelling a prawn!
It was his outer one and the vet reckoned he'd just given it a whack or caught it on something in his run and we'd just maybe not noticed, with it being such a short space of time between getting home and then seeing it. His two outer nails were a bit long so he gave the other one a clip - said the others were fine but I'll def be keeping an eye on him from now.

Thanks

Em x
Mia's had never been long and she was licking them that to me rang a bell. Look underneath all nails you will know as they will start to go hollow. My vet didn't pick up on it i did. It's quite rare.