Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mollymunchkins
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2012, 08:50 AM

Mollymunchkins Op update

Hi

Thanks for all the advice on Molly's aftercare after she had an operation last Wednesday for a Luxating Patella (knee op).

Unfortunately, Molly has had a bad reaction to the op. I have had to take her back to vets everyday because she wouldn't eat or drink. On Thursday they kept her in during the day but rang at tea time to say she was much improved and had been drinking of her own free will (she'd also been on a drip) and to come and collect her.

Friday lunchtime I took her back again because she had refused liquid and food since 6.30pm Thursday night. I had tried everything, giving her water, tea, which she loves, from her bowl, plate, saucer and even my partners mug- nothing, I even went to the chemist and bought a syringe to try and squeeze liquid in - nothing. Food was a no no as well, she is a fussy eater, but never refuses apple, carrott or melon, this time nothing.

The vet who performed the operation has kept her in for the week-end and hopefully she will be much better on Monday.

The thing is I feel so guilty and inadequate. I grew up with dogs as mom and dad bred and showed Boxers and so I have seen poorly dogs before. I feel quite a failure that I can't look after Molly and can't get her to eat and drink. I am so worried that beause she is at the vets and that we've only had her 5 weeks she'll think I don't want her anymore. I know it sounds silly but she is now part of the family and has settled in so well and bonded with us.

Thanks for reading, just needed to get it off my chest.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2012, 09:44 AM
It is horrible when you are no longer in control isn't it?

But look at it this way, she is in the best place for her.

As for feeling a failure/inadequate why?

Are you a veterinary nurse?

Try and relax and when she returns perhaps try (difficult I know) to be a little less anxious, this can make the dog anxious.

Think Mary Poppins!

Fingers crossed all will be ok.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
No way are you a failure - you've identified a problem and got her the help she needs - great dog owner in my book.

We always feel inadequate when our little ones are ailing - it's human nature - but we really aren't. We are just worried owners wanting the very best for our dogs. Nowt wrong in that.

Positive vibes on the way to Molly who I hope is feeling much better by Monday when she comes home to be spoilt rotten
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
You are most definitely not a failure........a failure would be someone who did nothing, or gave up and hoped for the best.

You are going through a horrible time with poor Molly, and I will keep everything crossed that she is very soon on the mend and back with you.

She really is in the best place for now, so try not to worry too much.