Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Food that produces less output

Aside from raw...

I have tried Arden grange, beta, fish4dogs and csj.

I'm truly fed up with her cr@pping overnight or if left... I know it is part behavioural too (which I'm working on) but the amount that comes out of her is seemingly never ending! (it's all well formed and normal in consistency).

I know it varies dog for dog but suggestions welcome!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Well the only commercial food I use is Orijen, the stools are larger than on raw but not offensive or OTT IMHO
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 09:50 PM
My little dog 'goes' once a day - usually at the same time every day and in the same place. This is the case whether she is on totally dry food, a mix of dry and MY food, a mix of dry, cooked meat, bones and my food.

The only thing that differs according to what she eats is how often she has to pee and how much she pees (and drinks).

When she was totally DRY fed - you could set the clock by her and she didn't need to pee much at all but her stools were always v. dry. I experimented and found that she seems to have a cast iron constitution. I had problems with her not wanting RAW food at all. Then found she would eat raw if it was ON A BONE!

I am sort of working up to her being raw fed but cannot get too complicated with her diet because she does have to be boarded at least once a year. However, the boarding kennels tell me that, when with them, she will eat propreitary WET dog food - and that's the ONLY food she absolutely refuses to eat at home (and I've tried 'em all).

Contrary little bint!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well the only commercial food I use is Orijen, the stools are larger than on raw but not offensive or OTT IMHO
Thanks, will possibly look into it but it is quite expensive!

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
My little dog 'goes' once a day - usually at the same time every day and in the same place. This is the case whether she is on totally dry food, a mix of dry and MY food, a mix of dry, cooked meat, bones and my food.

Contrary little bint!
Ohh how I wish rave was like that!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Raw feeding. It was a revelation!
One small, well-formed poop each. Occasionally two if they`ve been stuffing themselves. As opposed to tesco bags full.
With 4 big dogs that makes a HUGE difference!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Now that I am feeding Millie once a day she is only doing 2poo's a day which suites me fine.

When I changed to one meal a day their were one or two accidents in the house but now she is back to normal and even more responsive to training i'm not she if one has anything to do with the other but it works for me ^^
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Raw feeding. It was a revelation!
One small, well-formed poop each. Occasionally two if they`ve been stuffing themselves. As opposed to tesco bags full.
With 4 big dogs that makes a HUGE difference!
I know raw works, it's just that I'm moving her back onto kibble for the foreseeable future.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 08:10 AM
I feed my two on a grain free "home cooked" diet ... meat or fish and a variety of veggies. They also get a raw chicken wing or a piece of pig's trotter for breakfast. Both dogs only need to poo once a day, usually in the afternoon. Not a large amount and no smell!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 08:50 AM
I have been using Burns for the last month, i know a lot of people say its not that great because of the cereal content but i bought a small bag when i ran out of AG and i must say i have seen improvements to my dogs since being on it.

They have the Alert lamb and rice, i bought a 7.5kg bag and its lasted nearly three weeks so far for two dogs, one 23kgs and the other 28kgs. So works out quite good value. I paid £23 for the 7.5kg bag

The main thing i have noticed is the reduction in waste, they have two small poos a day now and they are solid. They were solid on AG but there was quite a lot. I know a lot of people say their dogs lose weight on Burns but my lurcher who is like a toast rack has put on weight and their coats are really soft and shiney.

I thought Burns would be too expensive for my budget but its worked out better.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2012, 08:59 AM
I have just swapped my two greyhounds onto Wainwrights wet trays and already their output is much less, no nasty wind and smells and they seem more content, are eating it all and not hungrey between meals.
Unfortunatly one diet doesn't suit all thoiugh and what we reccomend may not suit yours. Its finding what yours does best on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >